1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Fork Seals Need Replacing.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by twobigones, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Some years ago, before I do for a living what I do now, I used to work in a Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki motorcycle dealership as a junior mechanic. Part of my job was to un-crate brand new bikes and build them up ready for the showroom, and then PDI them once a customer had placed an order.

GSXR's, VFR's, and FZR's of varying capacities were the norm, as well as TransAlps and Super Tenere and the odd DR600. They even sold MZ too. Not one of those bikes ever came with the forks compressed in the shipping container. Without knowing how long a bike could be stored in that container it's possibly the worst thing you do to the suspension. Suspension components are not designed to be kept under pressure indefinitely unless they're not pre-charged. Short term for a short journey in the back of a van it's probably fine, but not if you're shipping this stuff half way around the world.

2. Ah well. You live and learn. Thanks for that.

3. Cant believe it, 500 miles after having the fork seals replaced, the right hand one has blown agian, ordinarily this would only mildly piss me off but I only noticed it on the Eurotunnel tonight so now in Amiens hoping to do a tour of the Somme sites but looks like I may have to find a dealer to sort this out.

Come on Ducati, sort your frigging subbies out and get some quality parts. Spent best part of £20k+ on a bike and factory accessories to find a £2 part is bolloxed...AGAIN...not frigging happy
    IMG_2914.JPG

4. I did ride my bike about 2000km after I noticed the fork leak. So unless you get oil on your breaks, you can continue riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Since you have no option but to keep riding until at least you can get it fixed, tie a piece of rag round the bottom of the fork leg to absorb any fork oil and keep it from running down into the brake calliper. It might look shite but it could save your life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. It's the same on my pals XR , same manufacturer...
    despite it being fixed twice

7. Cheers Derek, never thought of that, works a treat

IMG_2929.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fork seals went today 20000 miles apparently only one seal on ducati but yamaha have two seals inside

9. Mine too, 2015 1200s, 10,000km, they will repare under warranty.

10. Like I said, mine is in for a leak.
    Dealer just called me and said its not the seal it's a defect on the fork post! He checked the other fork and all good.

So it's not the seals causing the issues, it's the fork post!

Cheers!

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Please don't take this the wrong way but do you really think all of us have forgot or not bothered to check our fork legs for pits or sharp edges caused by damage ...... yours might be the fork leg, mine are in perfect condition and it's 2 seals that have gone .... different leg each time 11,000 miles apart

12. Please don't take this the wrong way but do you really think all of us have forgot or not bothered to check our fork legs for pits or sharp edges caused by damage ...... yours might be the fork leg, mine are in perfect condition and it's 2 seals that have gone .... different leg each time 11,000 miles apart

Do Not Sell My Personal Information