1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Fork Service Qs...

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Greenhorn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Afternoon all.

In the dying days of autumn my 996 suffered a fuel connector failure and had to be carried home on the back of a truck. The tie down appears to have blown the seals on the forks. It took me a couple of weeks to get the right parts for the fuel connector and by then the weather had started to turn. I've had it out for a few very short runs just to keep the old girl fresh, but clearly I need to sort the slight oil leak from the forks before spring.

I've got a few questions....

I've got a 916 series Haynes manual but the forks are from a 1098. Does anyone know if there are any significant design changes between the two models as far as fork disassembly is concerned?

This being the first time I've had a bike on the back of a lorry (at least one which hadn't just been crashed), I've no idea what the actual damage is. What is the usual situation with this sort of thing? is it just that the seals have become unseated and can be popped back in or am I looking at some new seals or is it likely to be still more in-depth?

Actually, thinking about it, as I'll have the forks out, I might as well give them a full service.

Are there any special tools required, or am I good to go with decent workshop standards; spanners, sockets, allen keys etc?

2. I dont know if there are any major differences,I wouldnt have thought so.If not then you will get by with no special tools.I did mine (916) easily enough.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information