1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Front Mudguard / Fender Gone Floppy

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bandit, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Think earlier MTS riders have posted similar but the DVT model seems to be afflicted with the same issue. A fender extender can cause the rear part of the front mudguard to move onto the tyre. The rear part of the mudguard is held on by two Allen screws and two lugs that sit in two slots in the 'front part' of the mudguard. Somehow the fender extender (even a high quality lightweight carbon extender) causes it to move in to the tyre. No real issues just noticed a slight scraping sound the other day when I forgot to put my ear plugs in. Photos to follow

2. Suppose once it moves the nose of the fender upwards, it'll catch more & more air warping the whole unit.

3. Yes, it's a crap design, that's why I ended up fitting an Ilmberger front mudguard. The fender extender was even fitted by my dealer and not a kack handed attempt on my part to fit it.
    I know I'm old but why don't they fit proper MUD GUARDS in the first place?

4. [​IMG]

I had the same issue with front the tyre rubbing on the fender extender and make lots of noise! This is on a 2015 DVT and I looked a other DVT's at the dealers and they all have this flex issue on the rear part of the front mudguard, not an issue if you don't have a front fender extender fitted.

I tried to stop the rear part of the guard from flexing so much by using Sugru, impact adhesive and rubber inserts at different times but they all failed after a few rides out. This was at the point where the lower part of the rear front mudguard moves against the fixed front part (just behind the forks). The problem is that on the rear part there are two bolts at the very top and then two lugs - one each side with mouldings on the inside of the front section to guide the rear fender lugs in position BUT the guides have no moulding to stop the lugs moving too far in towards the wheel.

In the end I decided on a final solution, two small diameter bolts, washers and nylock nuts (I used stainless Steel ones) to hold the lugs in the right position against the font section. No more flexing, no more noises, no more wear marks on the fender extender.

Warning - Be very careful in measuring up where to drill the bolt holes! It is not easy to measure where the centre point of the lug should be exactly. My 2mm pilot hole was 2mm off on the first side, luckily the bolt head covers it final drill size I used was a 4mm one. PLUS EXTRA CARE - you are drilling close to the Brake Pipes and the tyre! It would be easier if you remove the front wheel but I decided not to do that as you need the wheel in place to use as a guide for the clearance you want on the extender.

Picture above of the end result, the one extra small bolt head can be seen.

#4 Veetwin, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks veetwin. Was dreading having to do such a mod so thanks for the advice

Do Not Sell My Personal Information