1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Front Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by cookster, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Hi chaps now I'm keeping my 1198 think I need to treat it to some shiny goodies!! Wheels and rear suspension are all sorted and there enough carbon bits to open a shop with so I want to concentrate on the front forks as there standard showa forks and though there OK and fine really I just want to up grade them because I can!! Right then I'm thinking along the lines of either ohlins fork internals or go the whole hog and go ohlins forks like fgrt200's or will a top set of internals be just as good without the bling effect?? Rear shock is a mk1 ttx ohlins so be nice to match the front to the rear. Opinions welcomed cheers gents.

2. Tbh a kit from ohlins or ktech will be better than std ohlins forks. Saying that, if you can find a decent used set of forks with yoke vs new cartridge kit for lot more money I'd be buying forks: much nicer looking with ohlins all round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. You mean like this....?

IMG_0031.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  4. I've gone the route of the Ohlins internals with the 1098 Showas I bought for the 853. Until I have had the chance to ride them clearly I have no opinion but I have high hopes that they are at least as good as the 748R Ohlins they are replacing. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. My mum told me not to hide my light under a bushell....

6. @RickyX can't afford those there off the desmo! Retail price is about £10000 for fgr300's
    @bradders I know what you mean mate buying the forks as a whole your paying for the gold bling on the out side but they do look good!! Or just go for the internals where they do the same job but save myself a £1000 and keep my yokes.

7. @cookster TBH, if the bike didn't have them already when I bought it, I'd have fitted KTech internals like I have on my 749 as they are brilliant.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Yeah, I hated the showa on my 848 they were just too choppy! My vote would be re-valve and spring if on a budget, if not so much then an Ohlins NIX30 kit which would be incredible! I don't think swapping to OEM 's' model forks is the answer, not if I want it set up perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Luckily they are not FGR300's :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I have had Ducati Ohlins on my 848 and a KTech 30mm kit in my gixer and I preferred the Ohlins tbh. But gave great adjustment (a couple of clicks were noticeable) but the Ohlins blow seals for fun.

For performance, go 30mm or better kit...sometimes you can pick up used

11. @jusutus yeah I meant I can't afford the desmo ones or the fgr 300's (gas forks in general) bad wording on my part :Happy:
    Looks like it could be the cartridge kit then chaps.

12. Are they standard equipment ohlins?? I'm thinking more of upgraded ones matey.

• Like Like x 1
  13. If you can afford aftermarket Ohlins they will be top stuff, AFAIK the Ohlins used on 'S' models and other bikes like Triumph etc are mass produced the same as Showa etc and thus the tolerance's are larger, hence them blowing seals etc. The Ohlins just seem to have more adjust-ability than Showa etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thanks Dave that's why I was looking for up either top notch internals or upgraded forks, not just standard equipment ohlins, unless I get some standard ohlins and then put in a cartridge kit but seams a dear way to do that.

15. You could get std ones (look nice and better adjustability) and then have them revalved and sprung. Bling and better performance, and probably £1500 all in if you buy the forks right. :)

16. Cheers bradders I'd go for performance over bling any day, would fitting a cartridge kit in my forks be as good as a set of R&T forks off the shelf or are they personalised to how I want them? Make sense?

17. Not an expert by any means but going to be damn close! Think the R&T have the same kit. Only difference maybe the nitrided legs??

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information