1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Fuel Sensor Error Message On The Dash

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AndyW, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Cracking day out on the bike in North Devon yesterday marred only by intermittent Fuel Sensor Error messages on the Dash for a while on 4 or 5 occasions (fuel gauge 'bars' go to nil, the fuel gauge display flashes and the low level yellow light comes on in addition to the warning message).

Anyone else experienced this? Is it worth checking the connector for the sensor or other connectors anywhere or are the fuel level sensors prone to failure?.........I do seem to remember discussions in the past but can find nothing on the forum here (probably on the old Ducatisti forums?).

Thanks

2. I think if you are flicking the bike around, heavy braking/acceleration and you are lowish on fuel the petrol moves away from the sensor causing low fuel lights. settles down after a while.

3. .....but I got actual 'Fuel Sensor Error' messages flash up on the Dash and stay up for some time before self clearing ;-)

4. this as happened to me twice now, both times after filling up,both times I've pulled over to check the connections but all ok, five minutes down the road the gage starts to recover then it's ok, i'm putting it down to trying to squeeze as much fuel as possible into tank.
    next time I fill up i'm going to put it on centre stand and leave a gap (read on hear about "air locks") lets hope that's the problem.

5. Thanks Chris.......might have started for me after a fill up but I fill up with the bike on the side stand so as soon as it's upright again there will be a fair 'air gap' - as I said above it did it 4 or 5 times over a period of time and quite a lot of miles so I think the sensor is on the way out. Did some more research on another forum after my first post, looks like the failure (development of faults) of the fuel level sensor was common - did see mention that sometime in 2013 a revised sensor came in to use...

...did some more research and it seems that in 2012 the original part 592.1.020.1D was replaced by a revised/updated part 592.1.020.1E confirmed by one fitment listing I found for 592.1.020.1D as follows:
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 2011
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring 2011
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 Sport 2011
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 SSPORT 2010
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 Standard 2010
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 STOURING 2010

[​IMG]

....looks like a tank off job (and drain obviously) to replace

[​IMG]

6. Had the same issue Christmas on old multi,
    Dealer replaced fuel sensor and all was well warty job!

7. More money! Don't suppose they are cheap?

8. Not done anything more yet, want to get a couple more fill-ups in just on the off chance it self rights!

Doesn't look like I'll be able to fit a replacement myself either now, see here:
    1200 - Faulty Fuel Sender! | Ducati Forum
    ....as a software upgrade is required for the updated/revised fuel sensor/sender unit.

It also seems that the unit is on revision 3!

2010 - 592.1.020.1D
    2011 - 592.1.020.1D
    2012 - 592.1.020.1E
    2012 - 592.1.021.1B (59210211B now referred to as fuel level guage)
    2013 - 592.1.021.1B (59210211B)
    2014 - 592.1.021.1B (59210211B)

#9 AndyW, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  9. Here is the most up to date item number for that fuel level sensor = 59210211C.
    It is a new number and Ducati is showing a release of 20th. May 2014.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thanks - variant number 4!...........that info from Shanghai Ducati?

11. Wait ~ there is more to the issue, I am waiting for confirmation on a software patch / update that might be needed with variant #3 and #4 (the latest one = 59210211C)....

NO ~ not at all, got a different very reliable source....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. So I'm crawling through Leeds in heavy traffic and the temperature is 104 with the fans blowing. Suddenly the fuel gauge shows empty, flashes and the roundel shows Fuel Level Indicator Fault (or something similar). This has happened once before but it cleared when I stopped the bike and restarted. So tried the same but it reappeared and I even had an engine warning light on as well. I was just about to panic when the whole thing just cleared and everything was back to normal. Engine ran normally throughout.
    The only thing in common between both instances was the fact that I'd been doing some town centre crawling and the engine was hot.
    Anyone got any ideas?

13. G'Day,

Here we go, bit of an update on my fuel level sensor, the newer "alloy" type version #59210212B (replaced under initial 24 mth. warranty during recent full desmo service) does not work with my 2012 MTS-PP, shows flashing bottom bar and 1km remaining range. No error codes on MTS dash or Ducati service computer and no updates for the particular fuel level sensor in the system here at Ducati Shanghai. The sensor floating device might just got stuck somehow in the lowest position but got no time right now to take all the fairings and plastics, tank off to check.

Plugging in the older "plastic" type version that came with the bike and surprise - surprise works perfectly.
    Anyhow, have the newest version fuel level sensor on order #59210211C (US$192.75) and will report back later once time permits and have new sensor on hand to checked further into the fuel level sensor issue.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. This problem happened to me yesterday. Happened twice now, both times in heavy traffic when the engine was hot.
    As above, clears itself eventually and everything back to normal. Unfortunately my bike is just out of warranty (two months!) :(

15. Thanks again for another really helpful post here TBR :D

Martyn.....ask your Dealer to approach DUK for a 'good will' replacement in view of the known and documented large numbers of failures of this part ;-) You'll still have to pay labour for fitting but if you have the 'ability' and inclination can cut that cost right down by stripping all the plastics etc yourself.
    I'm waiting on the phone call to say that the Dealer has my replacement fuel level sensor........as and when I'll check what the part number is and report back on any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Andy, Thanks for the tip.
    The bike should be booked in shortly for a radiator replacement under warranty (bubbling paint) so I'll mention it then and hopefully they can do both jobs at the same time and save a bit of labour costs (can't see them having to take off the tank to replace the radiator but one lives in hope!)
    By the way I set up a duplicate thread about this fuel sensor issue yesterday ( called 'fuel level indicator fault' - I did search the forum honest!:oops:) but this thread covers it. They can be cross referenced when you get a minute.

17. You're post moved over to this thread :D

18. G'Day,

Just got the newest Ducati MTS Fuel Level Sensor (59210211C) with my parts order.
    Very clear and straight forward, a software update is needed as per enclosed multi language instruction.
    Good on ya Ducati ~ no more secrets and asking questions to dealerships and mechanics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The replaced Fuel Level Sensor (59210212B) still doesn't work properly.
    As the actual fuel level in the tank goes down the fuel level bars indicated go up and the KM fuel range increases ~ weird.
    Shall have the new fuel level sensor installed once time permits and software update is available.... stay tuned...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information