1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Tank Petcock

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Zuff, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Holiday dumb question.
    Been working on my '92 carby tank and one job was a new petcock (old one disintegated). Now I cannot remember which way is open and closed. My logic tells me that 'open' is turned fully 'out' or counterclockwise...but I'm used to my logic being faulty.
    Done a forum and web search and cannot find this info. Can anyone confirm please??

2. Open is all the way out, you are correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cheers mate.
    Damn bike still wont start! But at least this is off my list.

4. No worries, hope you get it sorted

5. Hah, well I did, but you would not believe the problem!
    Put new petcock on. Put new fuel filter in tank and replaced the connecting hoses with new.
    Limbered up with lots of 'net reading about fuel filler cap replacement....'seasy when you know how. Put everything back on. Bike wont start. Checked spark. Yup, OK. Plugs seemed sooty but only damp. Hmm.
    Disconnected fuel feed to carbs at the Y junction. No fuel flowing, even with ignition on and fuel pump whirring. Hmm, hmm.
    Took tank off bike and took new petcock off. Working fine. OK, so muttered a curse and took filler cap off again and fished out the pump/filter assembly.
    Split it all and blew through filter...it was fine. Blew through the new bit of hose that connects the filter to the outflow pipe....Blocked solid. Squinted down it to see a clear plastic membrane completely blocking the pipe! Damn stuff was new from a motor factor. What the hell?? Swapped it for another section cut from the metre I had bought (eyeballed it first!), put it all back together, thumbed the starter and vroom! That beautiful v twin thrum greeted my ears. Moral of the story? Dont trust anything new!

At least I is now an expert at putting fuel filler caps back on !

• Like Like x 5
  6. Always give ya pipes a good blow! lol

7. Too true Penfold! I'm telling ya, ya couldn't make it up!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information