1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Gearbox Problem?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by duc996bp, Mar 4, 2017.

1. I checked the bike in detail and removed the slipper clutch completely, no sign of any damage. Only thing I found was a small amount of slack in the chain which I have since adjusted. For the moment, I have installed the std clutch. Went out for a cautious ride yesterday, did about 25 miles before it started raining, no problems.

I have been thinking since, could I have left the side stand down? The problem occurred as soon as I tipped the bike over into a left hander, it would have made the bike jump and jolt, me thinking the wheel locked.

For the moment I'm going to leave the std clutch in and get out this week for hopefully a bigger ride.

2. Could well have been the side stand, I did it once in a car park, never again.
    Steve

3. Could be, as not all have a kill switch for when in gear. Would explain why it felt so bad :)

4. I hope it was that. I only recently changed the stand so it stays down, rather than spring back as originally designed. I'm having thoughts about putting it back!!

5. If it was the stand you'll see the marks on the end of it.
    Don:t ask me how I know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. You are right, I have inspected the base of the stand, there are scrap marks in a direction which support the theory!!
    Not the direction that would have been made by simply putting the bike on its stand, if that makes sense.
    To be honest I would of thought an aluminum stand that hit the ground whilst riding would be wrecked, its certainly not, just some scrape marks on the base, so I cant be 100% its the cause.

7. Probably not because it will spring back once it gets so far. Lucky it didn't dig in tho..you may have partially put it up

8. Let's hope you've solved it then as overall it will be a big relief to you. I was going to suggest removing the chain as it's one of the only safe ways to check out the gearbox with the engine running albeit a bit crude.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information