1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Getting Sps Back To Original Condition

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by greybass, Oct 1, 2016.

1. I've recently bought a 996 SPS (an original one) which is in great condition but has some aftermarket parts that I'm planning to replace to get it back to as original factor state as possible.
    Anyone who has guidance or advice would be very welcome to comment to help me make the right decisions.

First thing is to get rid of the nasty small LED indicators and get some original ones back on. I have bought some replacement black indicators but they came without bolts to attach them - anyone know what size they are please?

Next will be the clutch cover and heel plates.

I'll post more pictures as I make the changes over the next couple of months.
    Thanks for anyone interested enough to give some advice

I'm based in Portsmouth if anyone interested in Ducati company for ride outs and I have a Diavel as well

996 SPS 1.jpg

996 SPS 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I have a standard grey church cover if you want to swap?

3. Nice bike.
    What should I expect to pay for a completely original 996 SPS, one owner, ~ 3000 miles (owned by a good mate, who might be persuaded to sell) ?

4. Those JHP clutch and sprocket covers are worth a few bob.

You'll get a good price for those, if you were to sell them.

5. If you're referring to the 996 SPS price I think you're under.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. There is one for sale at Bonhams this month which will tell you the real value when it sells, without any hype :)

7. Let us know what it goes for.

8. I'd be intested in the Ohlins front end for the Showa if your changing them and iv'e lots of standard parts , let me know what you need .

#9 VtwinDave, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Ohlins were standard on the sps from 2000 onwards. Price wise there between 10-15k for a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Very nice bike! There is a slight difference between original condition an original bike with period correct options. I always am in favor of the last :smiley: The only thing what attracts my attention are the front brake discs as they seem to be stock 996 one. What mileage does it have?

11. Brake discs look original to me. Looks an almost perfect specimen.

12. [​IMG]
    You're probably right, there is one for sale here in the Netherlands which has other ones but suppose to be stock.

13. I have been looking for a while for a totally original bike with low miles and have now just got one.
    If your mate's bike is corrosion free and all the anodising on the bolts etc is good as new and he was to addvertise his bike at £18k I think he would sell it very quick. I looked at bikes for 16k and they looked as thou they had lived in some damp old shed!

14. Thanks, still waiting for him to decide to sell ... 3000km, he's the only registered owner, stored indoors but not ridden / started for years, completely original.

15. Il be selling my sps in the new year.

16. Hi I have just bought my 996SPS as well, and I am doing the very same thing as you and returning it to standard.
    It is hard to find good quality pictures of the bikes when new as a original reference.
    I have the post just below yours so look forward to reading your replies.
    Nice one. Martin.

17. if it's grey that'll be the Presbyterian one

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Go buy one of Ian fallons (think that's his name) books as they tend to have all the detail and good pics and are most accurate. Remember some bikes too what was in the skates bin occasionally...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information