1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gps Trackers !

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Cormark, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Anyone used or know anything about these trackers ! I've been looking at a few and I like the idea of being able to fit/refit this myself plus it's self powered so no drain on battery also gps/rf and GSM!
    Motorcycle Security Tracker Systems | Best Award Winning Trackers
    Haven't rang them for prices yet was hoping someone else had used them !

• Like Like x 1
  2. BikeTrac + 3yr subscription; happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I use GPSbird. Works fine.

4. I looked at the site but didn't find much info.
    Looks like it runs on a battery. How long does it last?
    Do they charge an annual fee?
    Is it gps only?

Looks a good small size so reasonably easy to hide.

5. Works with a simcard. Every new season i reload for 10€, it's enough for the season.
    Works with gps/gprs signal and is very accurate. The battery last for approx one month. The tracker goes in sleepmodus after a while and you can wake it up by sending a sms.

6. Looks interesting

7. Web site says battery lasts 2-4years guess that depends on how often is woken up or activity!

8. Whilst Biketrac is a managed/monitored system it's not cheap. The results, from their claims as well as folks on here that have them fitted, are good. However, if looking for a cheaper system both to buy and run then you might want to consider one of these.

I fitted one in early June this year, equipping it with a GiffGaff SIM. The annual subscription to the tracking portal (which you don't have to use, it'll respond to a text with coordinates if you wish to run it that way) is £10 per annum. The SIM I topped up with £10 when I fitted the device, still have £7 of credit left and that includes 8 days in Spain. With careful set-up it's very cheap to run, uses more data when riding rather than parked up for long periods but it's still a slow dribble. I went for the GiffGaff SIM as the one they were offering as included with the tracker didn't work abroad, they did offer an alternative but it was considerably more expensive to run.

The tracking portal is well worth the modest sub, you can view current position and about three months of tracklog history as well as set-up alert zones etc.

This is a screen grab of the track-log from this years tour in the Picos
    [​IMG]

I even set it up to send my wife emails when we reached the hotels or the ferry ports. There is also an app that lets you see the same portal but in a mobile friendly format.

The unit itself is slim, discrete and watertight. I recommend taking some time fitting buried within you bike and powered off of a permanent live. Like alarms, or any other electrical accessory, care taken at this stage with fitting and wiring will pay dividends in the longer term. It does have a backup battery, about 6-8 hours of running if disconnected. Battery drain isn't an issue though I do keep my bike on a battery tender when at home.

Set-up is via text which with the GiffGaff SIM cost 5p a time, this includes switching features on and off, setting up alert zones etc. Use of the portal outside of the annual £10 sub is free and you can set-up zones using that but the alerts will be via email unless you have an SMS gateway account.

I have noticed, on only a couple of occasions, a GPS signal drop-out on track-log routes where the track straight-lines for a mile or two. Not often or long enough to be a concern.

Obviously I won't get a call if my bike is moved without the ignition on as you would with Biketrac but I can check on where the bike is very easily where ever I am and at any time by looking at the app on my phone.

Support from the vendor is good, they're UK based and responded to both my pre-sales enquiries and a couple of questions post purchase regarding activation of the initial included year of portal access.

For the money I'm very happy with it.

#8 Bumpkin, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I've got my biketrac and really like it. I've forgotten to disarm is before and had a call in no time. The bonus is, they deal with the police too in terms of tracking the bike. It also has radio tracking on top of the GPS. I've swapped it between bikes on my own too. Only 3 wires and not a bad job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Have to say BikeTrac is not without its faults. I know of one instance where the Geofence mode was armed. Bike was in an area of poor SIM reception to begin with, bike then resurfaced several hundred miles away after the theft, having been removed presumably from within the van it left the original location in and then re-broadcast its position. No phone calls, no SMS texts received to advise. Not ideal I would argue.

11. Good review. Worth looking at.

Looks like a good trip too.
    Did you go to Riano? Good roads to and from it.

12. Have Datatool units fitted to both bikes, have no complaints so far .. easy to track and view location from their portal. Also a bunch of useful options which can if you want send you information via SMS..

13. Thanks for everyone's input although I think I'm even more confused as to which is best to go for now lol

Although starting to lean towards a datatool tracker and alarm combo ! Mainly because I've had datatool alarms before and not had any problems with their units !
    Plus there's a local installer that's mobile
    Motorbike Alarm Fitting | Motorbike Alarms, Immobilisers, Disc Locks & Trackers
    Anyone used these guys !

#13 Cormark, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016
  14. We spent a couple of days and went though there twice in the process :upyeah:

[​IMG]

Autocom sell the same tracker as mine for £129 though this seems to include a lifetime subscription to the portal. Either that or they've licensed the software and run their own version. It's cheap, with enough users you can have a hosted cloud based version, costs around £2.50 per user per year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I've been using a $40 iPhone mounted under the seat. Hardwired for power and works ok but some of the newer devises are very small which is great. Some also have microphones to listen to the baddies

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

16. Great find on the autocom unit! As it happens I'm in the motor trade and my diagnostic software supplier is a autocom agent, he's been trying to get me to renew my software licence needless to say I have renewed and I have a nice little sweetener on its way
    Cheers Bumkin and everyone for their input

17. All you'd be able to elk from the mic though was that it was stolen by some uneducated twat of a youth who talks like 'dis innit blood'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Thanks for the review. Bought and fitted one at the weekend (including GiffGaff sim) - very happy with the setup. Just need to hide it properly when I have a bit more time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information