1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys, What Type Grease Is Equivalent To "shell Retinax Hdx2"

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Richie T, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Guys, got my replacement pinch bolts now (for my Marzoochi forks to tight front wheel axle), torque settings spec sheet says to dab some "Shell Retinax HDX2". Is there something equivalent to this that i might already have?

2. You reckon copper grease is the one to used, so it doesn't cease when tighten after at 6 nm?

3. Richie, the grease is an extreme pressure grease (what you would use in a car CV joint). New spec is Shell Gadus S2 V220 2

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I would say copper grease would be fine or a molybdenum grease, as you say it prevents siezing and allows correct torquing of bolt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks Denzil.. Noted.

6. Duc996bp.. going with copper grease.. need to ride this bike. when this snow gos away. :/

7. Agreed, for what it's worth on standard bolts (especially stainless) I normally use copper grease and on hi-load stuff like these pinchbolts, rear wheelnuts etc. I use Moly grease.

Been using 'Rocol Sapphire 2' moly which seems very good whilst not overly expensive, e.g. ROCOL SAPPHIRE HI-LOAD 2 HEAVY DUTY GREASE 400g 12761 "NEW" L65 | eBay

8. Just a word of caution, copper and molybdenum greases are not equivalent to each other. The coefficient of friction is different (among other things) and so the recommended fastening torques will be changed. It's better to stick with the right grease.

9. What’s a torque wrench?
    Havn’t Used one for years, every bolt is different because of thread shear which can happen in alloy components

10. Thread shear?

11. Well yes it occurs when a thread is used over a time and the upper ramps of the tangs wear, this can affect the tightening torque value as there is less friction . A thread can wear over time but most people only ever replace the bolt and assume everything is as it was when it was first made.

12. Is this why for No apparent reason a bolt will keep turning when the torque wrench should click......then strip?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information