1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlights!

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Wooly46, Mar 31, 2017.

1. I know this has been covered lots of times but I decided to have a go at cleaning my milky headlights. Can't believe how easy these bikes come apart! Found a great cleaner in a box in the garage, maybe not a good idea if you're in a weak frame of mind!!:tearsofjoy:

IMG_2084.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Gin is a lot better and not so much of a waste :Bag:. Andy

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. One of the reasons why I love this bike, just so easy to work on compared to the newer bikes. That's one of the first things I did to mine. Makes a massive difference to the look of the front end. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Definitely mate, looks spot on now. Fitted a mph clock which is like new so just need to spend a bit of time with the drill to correct the mileage! Do you know if the speedo drive is different gearing or is it sorted inside the clocks as mph to kmh?

5. Looks a good job[emoji1360]
    Will be doing this later in the week I think. Any tips at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Pretty easy to be honest, once the headlamp is out I just got a small socket extension with a rag taped to it, soaked it in vodka :tearsofjoy: and just rubbed it in! It was the only alcohol I had!!

7. Nice one :) thanks!

Mmmm....vodka...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Soooo.........
    You guys were right - dead easy to do. And the lights are now sparkly and gorgeous!
    But...on trying to remove the sidelights (changing to LED bulbs while it's all apart), one rubber 'plug' thingy came out ok, and the other one didn't. I mean, it came out but the wires ripped from the spade connectors. Gutted. And annoyed at myself..! Any tips for prying the spade connectors open? Fine flat head screw driver I'm guessing - unless there's a trick of the trade...?

9. [​IMG]

10. It may pay to replace them actually.?

11. Yeh, that's what I'd do mate and maybe run some solder onto the wire to give it better purchase

• Like Like x 1
  12. Make sure to crimp first then solder second, otherwise you may get solder creep (where the soldered wire which is subject to compression fits flows and creates a poor contact). that is assuming you can get the crimped pieces open first to get the wire ends in then re-crimp (with pliers is all I would usually do) then solder and clean it all up.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  13. How are the headlights holding up?

Do I need to remove the front faring?

14. Top fairing needs to come off but that's only a 5 min job. Remove the Allen headed bolt between the headlights at the bottom, keeping an eye out for the spring behind it and pull them forward out of the housing.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information