1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello From Brighton & Some Bike Advice Please

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Kris83, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hi guys,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place, apologies if not.

I passed my full test in November last year after a gap of about 18 years from doing my cbt and am now looking for my first bike.

So far I've tried:

Bmw F800 - couldn't get on with it, felt too tall, gear lever position was never where I thought it should be

Bmw r1200gs - nice bike, v easy to ride but maybe not for me quite yet (still only 36)

And am waiting to demo:

Monster 821
    Yamaha MT-09

The debate I've been having with myself while waiting for the demos to arrive in April is whether or not I'd be better off spending the same money (or perhaps even slightly less) on something like a 2 year old Monster 1200s?

I've found a few around the £9.5k mark which got me thinking whether that might be a smarter place to put my money for my first two years of riding?

This isn't a 'will I kill myself?' Question, it's more 'which one will likely be worth more in two years?' when I (hopefully) chop it in for something more crazy.

New 821s once you put a few bits on them seem to be about £11k and all the two year old ones seem to be around £7k. Assuming a dealer would bid me £6k, that's a hell of a boot in the balls for two years riding.

Over to you! Feel free to point me in the direction of the search button, or google but I couldn't find anything

Cheers

2. Hi Kris
    Re: "which one will likely be worth more in 2 years?" well, pretty sure it's not any of those and if this is at the top of your priority list when buying then you could consider a mint/low mileage M900 Monster. In a similar sector, I have a hunch even (new model) Scramblers will hold their value fairly well.

3. Dealer gave me a 821 when my previous panigale was in for a service, I found it was great fun but honestly a bit gutless.

Following service they gave me a 11 or 1200 i can't remember but that was much more like it.

821 would be a great starter bike in my opinion though, and as said lots of fun.

As it's your first bike, probably best off getting a second hand one, be less to insure also.

4. Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

Residual value is definitely a high priority but not an absolute.

Something like an m900 probably wouldn't be a goer as I need something
    I can use every day. Using a mint m900 for that would kill the value I'd have thought.

Second hand definitely seems to make more sense. Undoubtedly I'll drop it at some point so makes sense not to have a shiny new one.

I'm not sure about a scrambler, there's something a bit too beards and top knots about them for me.

5. Ok, you didn't mention what sort of mileage/usage but it doesn't necessarily mean that the bike will deteriorate - I take it that you plan to look after it? of course the mileage will go up but even if you bought it with around 10k on it, it wouldn't be worth much less if you doubled it, and certainly compared to an 821. Have done this a few times now although I did get mine cheap admittedly. Was only going by your wording after all… ;) I know what you mean about the scrambler, don't tell L Toro

6. My bad! Is the m900 reliable enough for using every day? Wouldn't be doing mega miles, just 2-3 miles each way to work. I could cycle it to be honest but I'm fat and lazy and can't be arsed.

7. I totally understand if you need the reliability that a modern bike ought to bring, just saying don't rule out the older ones Kris. Have a look at the styling as it may not even appeal and it is true to say that you will need to keep on top of maintenance a bit more than a nearly new bike.

I bought mine at around 10 K miles but had been neglected despite engine being sound. After curing initial niggling problems for the first month or so, I've ridden it non-stop for 8000 miles since I got it, right through the winter and it's never let me down once.

#8 Chris, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  8. The 1200 monster seems to be rubbish at holding value compared to an 821, I`ve seen plenty of secondhand 1200s in the £6k-£7.5k range. Maybe look at the previous monster 1100 or 796, quite modern so things like abs, lots of fun and great residuals although riding 2 or 3 miles is not good for any engine, they wont even get to a decent operating temperature in that distance.

9. Welcome Dave. I'm sure those that ride Monsters will help.

I've ridden them but just for a laugh, and not as an investment.

10. welcome

1100 evo monster, spend the rest on fuel :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  11. 017.JPG a bike that does it all

#12 sean bike, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. If you try the MT09 it will make sense to try a Triumph too - Street Triple being in line with the kind of riding position and performance you are considering. Neither is slow! . If you do consider lower powered bikes too but don't like the Scrambler, then MT07, Street Twin and SV650 are all well liked.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cheers guys, that Diavel looks awesome! Not sure my budget will run to one though.

Street triple is a shout, not sure I can live with the looks though. I think I'd get bored of an mt07 pretty quick.

1100 evo could be a shout though.

14. 1100, try and get an S with ohlins all round, masses or torque so very user friendly and quick enough for trackdays easy :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information