1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Help!! Carbon Key Guard

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by LeeMcP, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I recently purchased a carbon keyguard from CarbonKings to replace the horrible looking rubber OEM guard.

I made an attempt to install it last night but having real difficulties. Although the keyguard is great quality and looks identical to the OEM, it doesnt appear to fit. The benefit of the rubber keyguard was that it could be easily manoeuvred until it got a snug fit, an obvious advantage that carbon doensnt have.

Has anyone else fitted the same keyguard to their 848 non evo models?

Any tips or advice? Ive attached a few pictures to show where it is catching.

Lee

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

2. I have a DP one. it needed filing to fit nicely.

3. Thanks Ricky. I was tempted to start filling but thought id seek advice before going down that route. I'll likely need to take a few mm off the wing section and on the middle where it catches the steering.

4. Ethanol swelling on tank?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I had the same issue & had to file it; it later became apparent that my tank had swollen to the point it was touching the steering damper on my 1198.

I have since fitted a new tank & the key-guard has quite a gap all around (the bit I filed away).

6. A lot of the early aftermarket key guards on the 848 would fit over the one that was already there (this saved having to mess with the immobilized sensor ring thingy if I remember rightly). So try placing it on top of the OE one to see if that works.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. As already mentioned by @Jolley
    I have one and it installed right over the existing guard on a 1098

As @chrisw stated
    Later I was getting a slight rub and couldn't figure it out, but I reckon it's due to Ethanol swelling the tank ever so slightly.
    Its not a sufficient issue yet to force me to go to the lengths of getting another tank, but it is a bit annoying that it happened

8. Another one who fitted a DP one. Had to take the dremel to it in the places shown above. When I wanted to sell the bike, I tried to take it off but the guard had left a few nasty marks on the tank.

9. ordered a streetfighter carbon kings key guard from them 3 weeks ago and its sitting still to be fitted, maybe I should have tried it before now, try it tomorrow I think if that's the case, saying that I dont think the quality is perfect, you can see in some places where the carbon wave has been stretched slightly, maybe this is just normal for parts with tight curves ??

waiting patiently for a load of carbon to arrive from conquest carbon, fingers crossed its nice stuff, get good reviews for sure

10. Thanks for everyones feedback.

I finally managed to get the keyguard fitted... after ALOT of filling.

I suppose this could be down to a number of issues. Either the keyguards measurements were slightly out, or the tank may have swollen. Nonetheless CarbonKings were very helpful. They offered to send out another keyguard to check against incase the one I recieved was slightly out.

Regarding the quality, I have no complaints. Ive slighty scratched a few areas due to the filling but im still satisfied with the finished product.

Lee

IMG_2706.JPG

11. Good job. The CF edges very easily scratch the paintwork too don't they.
    How do you find the fit of the CF air tube covers? I have them on mine; the left one is perfect but the right not so good.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information