1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Help Needed Asap

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Scotty-vr46, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Is there any independent mechanics out there???? Iv just been told iv got a bottom head issue and new engine required. This all came about off my bike firing on one cylinder?? And when the clutch is pulled in the mechanic says it's bottom head issue. And new engine required. Does this add up?? No fault codes on bike at all???

2. Ask him what a ''bottom head'' is supposed to be first, i can only assume he means the horizontal Cylinder head?...then take it to a reputable indie, whereabouts are you?

3. I'm in carlisle pal and now I'm pissed off surely if the crank had gone it wouldn't run?

4. Can he explain the relevance of pulling the clutch in for a "head issue" ? What dealer/shop is this?

5. J and L are a Ducati dealer just up from the railway station

6. I'm sure there will be people along soon who can recommend a good indie near you,oops..just seen Denzils post. i'm in Lincs so the ones I would recommend are not much good to you.
    If the bike runs is it making any nasty noises, smoking etc?

7. No no nasty noise just splitters and missfires, with loss of power. And using a hell of a lot of fuel. It was j and l I was in, diagnosed it in 15 mins

8. Sounds more like a horizontal coil issue

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mileage? good service record?

If running on one pot, take plugs out and that should reveal (black/wet) which one..(or touch header pipes and see which is cold). Then see if its sparking .. if not, change plug(s) and try again... maybe swap coils and see if it travels to other pot,, etc etc... must at least try the basic checks....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Done all the basics pal. Plugs and coils I'm getting heat out of both pipes however the horizontal cat is glowing cherry red and Luke warm after the cat. And spluttering bad and using loads of fuel. Could it be the timing??? Iv also been told my big end is away???is there an easy way to check this??

11. If a big end has gone you would hear a knocking from the motor,theres no mistaking it...if it was mine I'd be taking it to someone who knows what they're doing,hire a van if necessary.

12. Get it in a van and take it to Ducati John he's one of the best about :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. was reading what you posted about the heat in the exhaust and cat and was thinking that if there are no nasty noises what if the problem is the cat. I dont know what the stock exhaust look like,do they have a separate cat per cylinder ? What if the cat has broken down and is blocking exhaust flow from that cylinder,Take the exhaust off and see if it runs ok. Could a bad injector be flooding that cylinder,swap injectors and see if the problem swaps the the other bank.

14. Thanks for all the replys folks the bike is getting loaded up and taken to john Tomlinson in preston next week. So hopefully back on the road soon

• Like Like x 5
  15. How's things coming along sir?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Absolutely brilliant. Took my bike to john Tomlinson in preston he diagnosed the issue in no time at all. Turned out to be a burnt valve (not big end that was told by j and l motorcycles) so left the bike with him and pick it up today. Couldn't be happier with the service from john, he really knows his stuff. So il be taking my bike to him in the future. Top bloke and very reasonable price

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Is that Ducati John?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

18. No I don't think so pal but he is called john and he's bloody good on a Ducati.

19. So just like to say a massive thanks to john Tomlinson at brook lane garage preston. Just rode my bike back to Scotland and wow feels like a new bike. Can't recommend this guy enough. Really good guy with tones of Ducati knowledge, if anybody's bike is playing up I recommend looking him up

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information