1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Die Hard, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Hi all,
    This morning I washed my Multi[using a bucket-not Karcher].
    On starting her up she spluttered but started on second go.
    Pulled away with the bike feeling underpowered and within minutes bangs started coming from the exhaust, which lasted all the way to work. When I stopped the cat box of the exhaust was red hot [literally] and had a burning smell. Any ideas of what has happened and what I should do next?
    Thanks,
    John

2. Were any error messages showing on the dashboard? What engine temperature was showing?

3. Sounds like the engine was misfiring with unburnt fuel ending up in the cat. As Pete says, any error messages would help.

4. Hi Pete, normal temp shown with no error msgs. I'm going to fire her up again shortly and I'll let you know what happens, thanks

5. You could have got a slight bit water ingress in your top coil . If a small amount water was pooled around it the vibration on starting could have broken the seal allowing a tiny bit water in. This would make it misfire and not show any errors. Happened to me on my 749.
    Take the coil out and dry off the resess the spark plug sits down in, I'd did with a rag then the old ladies hair dryer as it only takes a tiny bit moisture when engine hot the cause a misfire.
    Hope this helps

6. Hi
    Check the operation of your exhaust valve , it sounds like it is stuck in (or near)the closed position . I think the exhaust valves are prone to problems.
    Kev

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hazarding a guess here. Is it a single-spark engine? And has water got into the electrical connections to the rear cylinder ignition coil? So it is sparking only intermittently in that cylinder, causing a misfire which is allowing unburnt fuel to reach the catalyst box, where it burns off causing excess heat. Just a guess, as I say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes they are, but that problem does not cause a misfire nor an overheating cat.

9. I agree - good advice. Probably.

10. as above - igniton lead/coil/sparkplug route shorting to earth etc, straight after washing is a common symptom.

11. Thanks guys. I started her up again and she ticked over ok until I blipped the throttle. Then erratic rpm. Drove around the car park and the bike felt underpowered with a couple of surges. No bangs but then I think these only occurred after a while on the way in. Temp went up to 94 while left idling after I stopped. No errors on dash. I have no tools to remove the coils -at work. Would you guys take the chance riding home this evening? Figured the moisture may be gone by then, however the pain on the centre stand has already peeled off ....
    Thanks,
    John

12. The moisture will not evaporate as it sealed in as such,it be ok to ride home steady then sort it when it starts running in just one cylinder you be better not riding hope all gets sorted

13. Thanks Charlie - do you just dry the coil stick or does the coil need to be taken out of it. Sorry for the dumb question.

14. No take all the coils stick out dry that in the resess the spark plug sits down in I used a hair dryer. When you put back put some high temp greaser I used marine grease around the coil lip to help keep water out

15. Thanks Charlie . I'm going to have to get the garage to pick it up. Cheers.

16. Update - Ducati picked up the bike on Tuesday and the issues are:
    1. A valve in the exhaust had broken causing a plate to not open/close properly. That explains the power loss and bangs.
    2. The side stand sensor was damaged by the heat causing the cut out when trying to engage a gear.
    So the washing of the bike must have been a coincidence [fingers crossed].
    Parts on the way and I hope to be riding soon.
    Thanks for your advice guys.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  17. So I went back to the service point twice with the same issue. Only difference was the bangs had gone. The coil was cleaned and but it was only the replacement of the coil [front in this case], which finally got the Multi running properly. Thought you'd like to know. Cheers

• Thanks Thanks x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information