1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi From Uk Thinking Of Buying A Panigale

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by leighavfc123, Apr 1, 2017.

1. hi im torn between the new r6 or a used panigale. im 90% sure its gonna be the panigale, im just confused as theres different models over the years so would like some advice

bike only used for street riding in summer, no track use

have max 15k sterling to spend

whats the best year? engine? what extras to look for? service intervals?

sorry for all the questions but its a lot of money to drop on a used bike so really want to make the right decision . cheers guys

2. If you're just street riding in the summer you would probably be better if with a used 899 that already has Termi exhausts and a few bits of carbon on. You should be able to pick up a very nice onefor sub £10k and have cash to spare. If you really want to spend up to your budget, go for a used 1199s or possibly a 1299s (which in my biased view is the best) which you may just about find for £15k.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thanks for the quick reply, not keen on the 899 only because of the lack of single swing arm, this might seem stupid but when spending this amount of cash i dont want to be wishing id got the different model later down the line. whats the base model like compared to the s?

4. Welcome Dave.

I too would suggest the 899 or a new 959. You can't see the swing arm when you're riding it.

Ps an R6 doesn't have a single sided swing arm either ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 1199S Tricolore will hold it's value better and be the best buy for your budget :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. i know i currently ride the 2013 r6 but the whole look of the panigale is the single sided swingarm for me anyway. just think i would regret not getting the best model i can as i would be keeping it for a good few years

7. i do like the tricolore theres not many for sale round here. would you recommend the akrapovic exhaust?

8. More likely Termignoni on the Tricolore (Akra will fit, but were later). Tricolore was on my shopping list, but I got a 1299S for £16.5 and it is a much better bike.

Plenty of people are putting the single sided swingarm on the 899. It bolts straight on, but will need a new wheel and rear brake line. Easily doable for under £2k, and will give you something a bit different.

9. thanks for that, gives me something to think about, where have you seen these conversions mate?

10. Out and about at meets etc. I'm sure if you google "899 single sided swingarm conversion" you will find something.

11. that looks amazing. i will have to look up and see if its something thats been done in the uk, and costs but that is definitely something that i will think about.

12. A chap at boxhill was going to do it, but he spent about £2.5k or so on new Parts from Ducati. The biggest problem will be finding a swingarm and wheel at a decent price. Keep on the lookout for some off of a base model 1199. I expect if you are patient you should find them for £500 each.

13. No worries. I only know about it from when I had my 959 and it was suggested to me (but actually, double sided swingarm is easier to live with!). I'm not far from Silverstone, but get about! ;)

14. what are you riding now mate?

15. R6 and panigale's are completely opposite in every way, including looks and performance. it's a strange two bikes to end up with in that respect.

The new r6 is silly money for a 600 and in my opinion they are gutless in the bottom end & Shit road bikes.

The 899 is arguably the best road panigale and it's got much more usable power than the r6 which is pony unless you're thrashing its tits off.

15 grand is a good budget, you could get either a 899, 959, 1199 or a 1299 second hand for that.

Depending on what you're after from a bike, you might find the bigger ones a bit intimidating, especially the peaky 1199. They don't make much sense until you're riding at jail speeds often.

16. 1299S and love it to bits. Got bored of the linear power delivery of the 959 and traded it in after about 5 months. I don't think it is possible to get bored of the 1299....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. My new solution to this dilemma is not going past 3rd gear on the roads.... much more fun that way (just like being back at Californian Superbike School!).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information