1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hints And Tips On Rebuilding

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 6, 2015.

1. So, went to take the bins out and accidentally spent an hour removing left rear set and chain guard off my SRAD. She has been massively neglected, forever really, and spent many winters under a cover shivering and dreaming of a dry garage. Intentions mid-term is a spruce up and general overhaul to get her ready to do track days on next year. She will need to stay road legal, at least a daytime MOT.

What I'd like is any general hints and tips on striping and rebuilding. Useful tools and products. Do's and don'ts.

So far I have 2 shagged bolts out of the 8 removed. I got out thanks to mole grips, the other is for the heel plate and will need drilling.

TIA.

PS, sorry it's not a Ducati. Or red.
    uploadfromtaptalk1444159853715.jpg

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. probably an obvious one but penetrating fluid on every bolt a few days before commencing the assault can save a lot of agro. i see you got ya lil containers ready:upyeah: i used plastic bags and stupidly wrote what things where on the bags... although i used permanent marker it came of most with handling with greasy hands so i put lil paper lables in the bags after that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. They are actually full with different screwdriver bits. Cross head, flat, hex, star, etc. Yes, I'm that anal. Yeah, I need to get out more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. as the chizmister says patience and a tin of good penetrating oil. throw out all your pish torx.allan keys and get good quality bits.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Make sketches of where bolts come from / take loads of photos as you strip it. You will be really grateful when it comes to putting it back together.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yea and dont take really blurry pics on ya ipod and top it of by putting ya ipod thru the wash....

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Expect to have 3 bolts left over when you put it back together, and at least 3 missing from parts that these bolts dont fit

Its normal, dont worry

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Don't wash iPod, got it!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thanks guys, good advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I try and keep parts as sub assemblies and wire bolts etc in position if I don't know where they go. Label and bag all parts.

It depends on how much you know about the bike. Some bikes I can put together without doing too much of the above.

At the moment I am undertaking a full nut and bolt restoration of a 250LC Yamaha and i am therefore less familiar with this so I have photographed a lot more parts and also written a whole inventory of all nuts and bolts that I have stripped out as they are all going away for replating.

The rest has been bagged and marked up. I also obtained a full cable layout diagram and a list of all nuts and bolts used on the bike, I have coupled that with a genuine repair manual and a full parts list for the bike. So anything i don't know I can at least look up.

#10 Red998, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Get yourself a thread restoring kit (used Snap On from eBay works for me) or a tap and die set.

Means any shit you undo can be given its best chance in life before reassembly.

Good quality fasteners are relatively cheap and are worth their weight and cost.

Well-fitting tools are essential. Took me decades to accept this.

Again, buy used from merchants on eBay unless you don't squirm on spending a few grand on basic tools.

Shit tools fuck good fasteners as well as shit fasteners, end of.

I had been buying Halford's Professional lifetime guarantee line of tools whenever I needed an extra whatever(s) convincing myself that they were as good as decent stuff, with the same lifetime guarantee, for a fraction of the price.

That is wrong.

Good quality tools (like Snap On) don't destroy fasteners, cheap tools do - even though they still undo/tighten the fastener... for a short time and sometimes less.

Sorry, know fuck all about Suzis.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. lots of little jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just eBay'd Snap-On. Gulp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. worth every penny. unfortunately they are no less likely to get lost.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Whats this "Blue Point - as sold by Snap On"?

16. a more acceptable price for pretty much the same product and guarantee

17. Did you get the bins out, though?

18. Ah, crap.

So worth buying? Seem far cheaper.

19. Chaos creates creativity in my case.
    I normal have 2-3 bikes in various states of build in one space. Part swapping between the them and what is on the shelves. I have 5l container for stainless bolts, special fixing, brackets etc and rummage throigh that to find special bits. Titanium and alloy bolts are kept separate, as are nuts.

A DAB radio is the most important tool in the garage. Kepps me entertained whilst I create (I am an award winner now - so its "bike creation" o_O)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Halfords Professional range is more than good enough for those that do not earn their living from using their tools - and as some here will testify, also good enough for many that do. Halfords have heavy discounts on tools at different times throughout the year, well worth keeping an eye open for that, actually, no need.. Uncle Borgo has done it for you - those socket sets and ring spanners are difficult to beat VFM.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...re=Pillar+offers-_-content8a-_-workshopoffers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information