1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizontal Coil Fault Code On 1000 Multistrada

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by KeithMac, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Hello all! I have a 1000 Multistrada with a very odd fault.

The bike came in as a none runner, after varous repairs including new fuel pump relay and plugs the bike eventually started but ran rough.

It was off the front cylinder and came up with "horizontal coil short to ground or open circuit" fault.

Checked wiring etc all ok and replaced the front coil (it was in a sorry state externally). The bike now starts first press of the button, idles fine and rides nicely (on both cylinders).

Problem is the ecu will repeatedly come up with the same front coil fault code and bring the engine light on even though the bike is running on both cylinders without issue?.

Could this be an internal fault in the ECU?. All grounds are perfect, ecu has a ground loop connector on the casing and this is also fine. All wiring and connectors are good.

Any ideas apart from condeming the ECU (or just running with the engine fault light on?). Anybody had a similar fault?.

Just to be clear I am motorcycle mechanic, just trying to do the best by my customer.

Any input appreciated!.

Cheers Keith.

2. Check the ignition relay up by the battery. Has brown and brown/white cables running to it. They can corrode and cause all sorts of random errors, particularly coil and injector

3. Worth checking the ECU heat sink / earth connection isn't corroded this also causes random faults - also use Scan5mx or similar to clear the error codes
    Remove ECU and split from heat sink to check for corrosion - dialectic grease is the old Multi's best friend

4. Hello, thanks for the replies!.

The mini relay on the rhs of the battery was the one I replaced, caused intermittent fuel pump operation

The ecu ground is good but I'll split the ecu case tomorrow and check for water ingress.

5. Hi Keith
    Did you solve this issue?i'm going into exactly same situation.

BR
    Niraj

6. As the otherS have said check all the earths. Make sure all the verdi Gris is removed from the relay connectors and the relay is brand new. Check for corrosion between the heat sink and ECU. If all these do not solve it then the IAW59M is prone to the coil driver failing. A second hand ECU with immo removed should sort things. Do the cheap stuff first though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information