1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 How Come This Has Been Around Ages ? 1098r

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by d8mok, Nov 24, 2016.

1. I called up again yesterday and they guy had apparently lost my number. I managed to find out a bit of info but its not all good.

Its missing service history from 2012 -2015 but only covered minimal mileage. Its also missed the 2016 service and the valve one by the sounds of it. Doesnt sound like their is any wiggle room on the price either. Might still go for a look once ive done a bit more research.

2. As we all know , service history is directly linked to mileage so the less miles it becomes less of an issue. None of us would go near a no history 30,000 mile bike .

Then you just factor it all in in the price don't we.
    You know, the biggest driver on buying a bike for me is always the owner . You can just tell how a bike is looked after by them .

3. I'll admit to knowing sweet FA about the 1098 series bikes in terms of maintenance and what they require and when (need to look at that up when mine's finally registered) although personally I wouldn't be put off by the lack of history if it had covered very few miles... I would however ensure that a belt service be the first thing on your list... (and valves if required by mileage)...

4. I went to see (only out of interest - not to buy) a GSX-R 750 Limited Edition as I have one in original condition with circa 35,000 miles on - all original patina, never refurbed. The one for sale in a Main Honda Dealer in Yorkshire who deals in RC30's OWO1's and the like that he buys from all over the world.
    The one he was selling was supposed to be as new with only 700 miles from new. It had the standard version exhaust on which seemed odd as the Limited had a black exhaust with no heat shield from new. I took detail pictures of mine on my phone and went to see - all the details were very slightly different - such as stickers, rads different on the corners and lacquered in where the originals were not.
    So, told them the bike had been restored and was not what they were purporting it to be. The guy was not happy with me but never changed his advert after I showed him all the evidence.
    £25,000 was his asking price and it seems to have sold a month or two after my visit.

Be just as wary of low mileage bikes - many without constant history should be deemed as suspect when deciding what you want to pay. Unless you know and trust the ownership trail of course.
    It's a minefield out there. :Wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dont fancy a mint 1198 in white with some nice bits on it ?? ;)

6. If the bike has only covered minimal milage in 3 years because it hasn't been used, that wouldn't bother me because you can see what's happened. My 1098R wasn't serviced for 2 1/2 years because it wasn't used and had only covered 1000 miles in that time. Once the owner started using it again, he had it serviced with a belt change. :upyeah:

But the valve service should have been done if it's hit the miles.

I'd say all of the above is ammunition to work on the price, but has he priced it accordingly?

I'd go and see the bike personally and take it from there. You'll know if it's the right bike when you see it. Also the guy might be open to negotiate. We've all had people trying to haggle via e-mail or on the phone and 99% of the time, they are a waste of time. He'll take you seriously if you are standing in front of him.

7. Some good pointers guys

It's £15k so not exactly cheap when it's going to need £1k spending on a service.

I didn't try to negotiate but seller said he's had it a year and doesn't care if he sells it anytime soon. Hence me thinking there's no deal to be done

8. I think your thinking too much. Put yourself in his shoes -would you say your stance is' keen to sell' or 'in no rush' if you were trying to get a reasonable price? It's only a starter for negotiation-as others said get in front of him and talk/see body language etc. Indeed, if he has had it for sale for a year, the converse may be true -happy to see it moved-and he can a deal for a genuine buyer.

Nothing beats talking f2fto get a genuine rounded picture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeah, but it's Christmas. I'm sure there will be a deal to be done if you are standing in his garage.

You want your Christmas present to yourself, he wants the money and you have some ammo. :upyeah:

What's the worst that can happen? It's a day out of your life and you've seen a bike to compare others too. But you may end up buying it.

10. Here's a picture of mine to get you in the mood. If you buy that bike now, you'll still have time to wrap it up and get it under the tree.

Another thing to remember is that you are in this for the long haul. Paying a little over the odds may miff you now, but 5 years down the line, you'll be glad you did it. Look at the posts from people wishing they hadn't parted with bikes for thousands of pounds less than they are worth now, just a couple of years back. :) I've never bought cheap, I try to buy the right bike and everything else will take care of itself.

IMG_4712.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. Im off tomorrow ......

• Like Like x 3
  12. I bought my Streetfighter S new in 2013. I bought it in February but held out for the 13 plate in April as I wouldn't have used it before then anyway. The dealer told me at the time that he'd had a few requests to register bikes early on 62 plates to avoid a 13 plate. :Wideyed:

I've never been superstitious. I regularly kick black cats under ladders etc. :)

13. Thats true - as you say, look at the person thats selling it, the state of the bike and to a certain extent the surroundings also (where is it stored? is the garage tidy? etc etc)....ie my z1000 has the first 600 mile service stamped in the book - i got it on 4.5k and have done the services since then, kept all the receipts and also marked down on a sheet when it had what done to it. The next service is the major which is the valve clearances (itll go in for that) and thats not to mention the thousands in upgrades thats been thrown at it also...pretty well the same story for my RSV4 and the hyper...

14. The ducati community comes up trumps again. Just had a conversation with someone who has made my mind up. I wont be going to see said bike. Cant say much more on here but at least i know now for sure.

15. Enlighten the Ducati community then??? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Intriguing

[​IMG]

17. Yeah - as my kids would say...."fess up!"

18. The person who told me doesnt want to get involved which i can undestand so its not my place to say. But his words were "dont buy that bike" and then followed by a few reasons as to why.

19. I thinking of buying it ....you can tell me!! :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information