1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do My Belts Look...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RC1, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Whilst i await delivery of my gloves ive decided to do what any self respecting boy does which is to break and rebuild his toys before playtime....

i removed the front and centre covers and took some pics... before i tell you what i know pls let me have your thoughts on

- how borked they look
    - does everything look as it should esp re fitment and pulleys
    - would you be rushing to get them replaced ( i know i will asap but is there a sense of urgency)

and if anyone thinks its funny to say stuff like they are on backwards and youve got bent valves pls try harder!!

cheers chaps

IMG_20160728_231300.jpg

IMG_20160728_231339.jpg

IMG_20160728_232732.jpg

IMG_20160728_232757.jpg

IMG_20160728_232859.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Your belts aren't rubber coated on the teeth :Wideyed:

:Angelic:

How long have they been on and what mileage???

3. Hmmmmmm, I sense a man trying to sell some belts. :Watching:

Thing with belts is, they can look fine but you don't know. They either work or they don't. Like Exie says, go on time and mileage. If you don't know when they were changed last, change them for what they cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. so far so good with the observations.... before i fill the gap with facts tell me what you think...

5. i'll play, belts have never been changed, original belts that came with the bike?

6. Ok so here's some facts.. the bikes and 02 with 9.2k miles

The belt from top of tooth to the underside of the belt measures around 4-5mm

7. As exige has said the inside of the belts seem to show the cord a bit more prominent than my two year old belts on the bench, so I presume they could have been on a while otherwise they look ok, adjusting pulley has been turned anti-clockwise so that's ok, nothing else to report from here.
    Steve

8. They look slightly yellow.
    Was that an option for yellow bikes?
    Otherwise...nothing jumps out as being wrong.

9. Visibly no obvious issues looks pretty damn clean under that cover :Watching:

10. Yes, I am afraid they are thoroughly borked.

11. Is this a quizz? :Nailbiting:

12. My 999R Fila which had its original belts on it from 2003 looked fresher.
    Do they have a part number on them? Are they stamped Renault?

Is this a quiz? :)

13. Angling I think.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. What gloves are you waiting for? I sincerely hope and trust that you sought the opinions of a host of strangers on the Internet concerning how they'll fit you prior to order placement. Failure to do this can result in severe borking of the proximal interphalangeal zone

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. :D

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/gloves-and-lids.44557/#post-784886

16. Of course I canvassed the opinion of the forum. After all, you lot know more about these things than I do!

And as posted above, I am waiting for some phantom 2s but didn't go for the shoei lid in the end.

So back on point.

I was told the belts were about 2 years old but there's no paperwork to prove it and I had no reference point. There's no markings anywhere and the underside is shiny in places. The bikes done fewer than 3k miles since the belts were changed. I've got no reason to think the guy was lying he was a straight up guys whose best riding years were behind him.

In any event I was going to get them changed regardless for peace of mind and to get a baseline established for the bike that I can work off

Glad to know they are not the worst you lot have seen and I can get some miles under my belt now witout too much paranoia!

17. Feeling lucky? The yellowing looks most peculiar, and the cases look unrealistically clean, like someone's been removing evidence
    Did you buy it from that gangster guy on here, the one nobody ever replies to?

I'm coming to realise the true meaning of one of your phrases
    Urban Dictionary: borked

18. If you read the owners handbook, the 748R belts require changing annually. The belts are 22mm wide unlike the 748/s/sp/sps, 916, 996. If it were me there'd be no question, change them. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. If they don't have any printing on then it looks like he has fitted some belts he has found in some spurious auto part shop. As far as I am aware only Ducati do the OEM expensive variant and then there is little old me with the superior engineered CCW belts. Both of which are printed. I don't know of any other that are designed for the 749R.
    Peace of mind? :Wideyed:

20. Shame it's a 748 though :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information