1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Remove Baked On Oil Stains?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Hotblack Desiato, Nov 13, 2016.

1. I bought a bike last year and the rear cylinder head has had a leaky valve inspection cover on it in the past. As a result the oil has wept out over the side of the cylinder head and down the barrel fins. having been run like this the oil has kind of baked on the silver coloured head an barrel as an ugly brown stain. Short of stripping the head and barrel and re-painting it, does anyone know of a way to clean the baked on oil off please or is there really no way to do this? I've tried a small area with T-Cut and it doesn't do a lot although with hours of effort it may work in the end...suggestions gratefully received as I'd like to get the bike looking smart again over winter. thanks ;-)

2. Wynns Carb Cleaner should do it, but work fast and soak it....it evaporates quickly.

3. I use something called nusolve from a company called southern chemicals. It's pretty much the only thing that gets baked chain lube off of a panigale silencer

4. difficult one, as you want to try and preserve the paint at the same time. Might sound daft but a cheap experiment would be to try covering an area in butter, yes butter - and leave it for a week. When you remove it with a cloth see how much darker it's got, if it hasn't then = FAIL. I know this works on tar and oil on clothes, just never tried it on a crankcase.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks guys, some things to try so I'll give them a go. Worse case I suppose is that if it damages the paint it'll have to come off and be stripped and repainted but obviously that's a lot of aggro I could do without. Will let you know how I get on!
    Cheers

6. Would I can't believe it's not butter work?

• Like Like x 2
  7. I don't believe so

• Like Like x 1
  8. On the Facebook fireblade page, people are raving about Harpic power plus max 10, it's basically one of those under the rim toilet cleaners
    People have posted up pics after they've used it on rusty old Exhaust header pipes, the transformation is incredible !
    I bought some yesterday from the £1 shop to use on my Sp1 header pipes
    Definitely worth a try for you I'd say
    Steve

#8 Steve m, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2016
  9. Link doesn't seem to work.

Sorry, the requested page does not exist.

Please check the URL for correct spelling and capitalization.

10. OH THE DRAMA !!
    I've just edited my post

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I have the same engine block stain as the OP (after Woods of Abergele did a valve check a few years back and left me with the bonus of an oil leak form the top cover), and will definitely give the above a try.

• Like Like x 1
  12. yep, butter, that is an old fav for removing tar..( true )

13. Don't know if you can still get the original Cillit Bang stuff but I've been amazed at how good it is for removing nasty stubborn stains :) my other favourite is Autoglym Clean Wheels pretty sure it's acid based so you don't want to leave it on too long :upyeah:

14. Handy tip Chris :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. And on body panels (car) ????
    What butter?

16. Unsalted???

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. huh ?,, in the old days there was no unsalted, just the real thing

18. I've found crumpets work quite well, toasted and buttered of course!

19. Ask Mary Berry, she's the Bake Off expert.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. I'll give that try, however you probably don't want to leave it lying around!
    IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0173.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information