1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 How To Clean The Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Martin Kubec, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Good Morning All,

Could please anyone share tips on how to clean the inside of the fuel tank? Want to do it as I believe it has never been done and am in the process of cleaning the whole bike anyway.

Thank you very much,

Martin

2. Do people do this? Fuel acts as a cleaner anyhow, you use it to clean all sorts of stuff in the garage. Have you changed the fuel filter?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I believe it should be done now and then…at least with the older bikes. The manual says it should be done after 30k kms. One other thing I hope to resolve with it is that I cannot fill the tank to full capacity (14 litres instead 21). The fuel filter was changed year ago, it should be fine I believe.

4. I suppose it's not a bad idea to flush out debris and even water that's accumulated at the bottom of the tank.
    Drain it, remove it, swill it out with fresh fuel until the fresh fuel comes out clean??

5. Thanks for the advice, will do.

6. Only a suggestion - not sure I'd elevate it to the status of advice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The 1000 had a slight design flaw in that if you filled it too quickly it created an air bubble/lock. This effect could be seen by filling up at the petrol station, riding even a mile then look in the tank and it has dropped quite a lot. If you use search you will find a few mentions on this.

I used to fill up the tank quite slowly whilst sitting on it and gently rocking the bike at the same time to work out the air lock but search will show some different ways of dealing with it.

8. Hi and thank you for your input,

Yes, I have also been refueling the slowest possible, but it never helped to solve it. Anyway, as I have taken the tank down, I found out one of the vents/breathers under the seat is blocked (as shown on the picture). I tried to unscrew it but it snapped (badly corroded), leaving the thread inside. So I am getting new one and in the meantime take the remains out. I understand these breathers/vents are connected to tubes inside of the tank, is that correct? Anyway, as the tank wasn’t able to breath properly, I take it that was the cause of the problem with full refill…I hope.

Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information