1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Fit Bikini Half Fairing On Carby Ss ?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Mar 18, 2017.

1. While I decide what to do with my bike long term, I'm trying to give some half fairings a go, but can't see how these are supposed to fix to the frame at the back end?

Also, from googling the topic, it looks like there are in fact two types of half fairing. There's another version (Japan/US?) which is smaller. Was that a genuine Ducati part or aftermarket?

IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG

2. Theres a bracket you need, think you can get it from Ducati still....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Remove the black tube spigot support from the frame which hold the rear end of the full faring lower on.

Then look / feel upwards behind the top frame tubes and you will find a 6mm threaded boss inside the frame.......the bracket is as said, a Z shape. It bolts onto that boss so part of the Z comes outside the frame. A wellnut goes into that part so you can fix the rear end of the half fairing to it.

Also, if you don't have a high mounted oil cooler, there is another part which connects the bottom of the two halves of the fairing together behind the front mudguard / under the headstock.

It isn't really necessary to have that part though.

Excuse rough photo (taken before my bike was cleaned up) - the bracket shape you need is like this. Sorry, I had the dimensions but I can't find them now.

bracket.jpg

#3 Ghost Rider, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Managed to complete the job by cobbling together some brackets. I did contact Ducati who said they could order the actual brackets from Italy for £10 each, but the 'spreader plate' part seemed to be listed as a 'sticker' on their parts diagram and wasn't available anyway. As you say Al, that part doesn't seem to be necessary. My solution for the brackets obviously isn't as elegant but seems to work fine. I like being able to see the engine now.

The only downside is one of the original lower fairing support 'mounts' (which have the rubber bung on the end where they touch the fairing), snapped off from its mount in the cylinder head. How the hell I get that out I don't know. Maybe drill then use an extractor, but my experience with those things is less than good. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help with this.

I really love these bikes.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0328.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I would not use an extractor to try and remove that broken piece - Paul563 tried to do it on his bike and the damn thing snapped, so it was going to be a sod to drill it out.

Fire3500 bought the bike, so he may have removed it and can tell you how he did it.

If yours is M10 thread, I made an M12 steel insert for Paul's bike so a replacement M10 bar could thread into it (I still have it) it would of course mean digging out the broken bit and tapping the hole if buggered up to M12.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. A reverse thread drill? One of mine has been helicoiled before.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information