1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard 1100 Evo Sp Fettling.

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by comfysofa, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Back in the Ducati family for a few days now... Rode it home for just over 3 hours and rode it to work the next day and decided tonight to get started on the fettling.... Fitted the oberon clutch slave last night....

IMG_20160408_215229.jpg
    Tonight I decided to get the tank off and have a look under the hood as it were. I'll be the first to confess that I'm a little bit googly eyed when it comes to buying bikes... Theres nothing wrong with this one, but, it's just been ridden and not really looked after as it should. It looks like the tank hasn't been off for a long time so underneath was pretty grubby but it's cleaned up well...
    IMG_20160408_214943.jpg
    The airbox had not been modded so thats been sorted out with a hole cutter a La...
    IMG_20160408_215143.jpg
    Going back to what I said about not really looking after it the air filter was pretty knackered and was a cheapo one..
    IMG_20160408_215422.jpg
    I'll be replacing it with a k&n unit... I'm planning on keeping it for the foreseable future so it makes sense. Sounding like a broken record the fixings are the worst part....
    IMG_20160408_215202.jpg
    Exhaust studs a totally rusted and thats the top cylinder ones...! Bottom ones are worse so ive made a start on the fixings also.... Yet to clean the tank up...
    IMG_20160408_214930.jpg
    So... On order is..
    Rear pinch bolts for the swing arm (titanium)
    Exhaust studs
    K&n
    Various Allen bolts (I'd guess 80% of the bolts are chalky or corroded)
    Hicap starter cables from exige
    Caliper bolts (titanium)
    Stahlbus sump bolt system
    Oil filter (and an oil change)
    A fucking good clean!

The tyres are in a pretty shabby state and also mismatched so they'll be changed hopefully tomorrow.

So, as much as I want to have another go on it its probably going to stay apart for the week while I get stuff in. I'll throw up more pics as i go...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Make sure you do a proper job, I'll be thinking of buying it off you in 12 months when you start looking at your next project. [emoji6]

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's the plan... Nope, it's not going anywhere... Not unless the bank wants their money back! I was originally planning on getting it all back together tonight but then decided against it as there's so many random bolts that have gone chalky (or rusted) all over it... Nothing wrong with that in that I expect nothing less from ducati with shitty fixings...

Sent from Tablet

4. Just to add the engine coating while ok is not peeling but isn't very good either (again something I totally expect). The front rocker cover is starting to self strip also so ill be going to the coaters with a pile of bits...

Sent from Tablet

5. K&n ordered..... Think I'll be doing an oil change as well.... Hi flo filter on there at the moment... I prefer k&n filters and probably based on the cost cutting air filter it's probably got cooking oil in it.... Silkolene pro 4 fully synthetic will be going in...

Sent from Tablet

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a KTM timescales job!!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nope... Back and running by the weekend!...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

8. Are you kidding? Do you have OCD?, I thought my 749s was a minted, but your making me feel like I should be doing a nut & bolt replacement restoration,
    Ive seen your ktm finished, I've seen your Zed finished, surely you bought this one for the grin factor of riding, I wish my wife wanted to get things as tidy as you do!!:smiley:

9. IT IS THE WEEKEND!!!!!!

10. Andy is correct , you do have ocd comfy hehe , I like my bikes to be clean and well maintained but as the years have gone by the need for them to be concourse mint has drifted away from me , part family commitments part .... just ride it each to there own though .
    The Oberons are good kit arnt they , did you get the 1mm bigger one ...just makes the clutch that bit lighter .
    When I got the cylindrical k and n it did sit a bit proud of the lid , the lid was distorting a little as you bolted it down , I ground it down at the soft edge on the filter ( keep it square ) just so the lid fit snug .Post some pics up of your fettling as I know you like taking pictures .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm really starting to like these, never even thought about these before but my current back problem may mean my beloved has to go bad one of these to take its place..... time to do some model research I think, any engine size to avoid? These look very changeable, i.e. seat tubing exposed etc?

13. Back trouble eh ? Me too Andy , that's why I have the sit up bikes now , I got a Aprilia v4 r tuono aswell , it's just a more natural riding position .... all the hanging over the tank days long gone .
    This is my 3rd Hyper I had the 1100s before , very good bike , but the evo series the engine a little better but with the sp it's the extra ride height and the marrzocci and ohlins work so well , it floats over our clapped out roads .
    I've never riden the 796 engine , I just like the punch the 1100 has , I've never riden a bike that has so much grunt right off idle , they just pull all the way , even though they are only sort of 95 / 100 bhp at the wheel it's just right for the weight of the bike , they are hooligan wheelie nutters

14. Back in from the garage....exhaust studs removed (mole grips on the last one)....just reading through the comments...I don't think ive got OCD - well maybe a little bit....its more preventative maintenance. Chatting with Rich at Louigi they spend more man hours pulling duc's to pieces more than doing the work cos of rust....I'm just changing stuff around, removing stuff that's rusted or corroded. Yes, I do like to keep my stuff clean, but its infinitely easier if the thing is weatherproof in the first place. IE ill be changing the 2 brake lines down for 1 then up and over which means one fork leg wont get rubbed and the brake line ends aren't galvanized and wont rust...easy to wipe over...

Next weekend Andy, next weekend...anyway where were you today...I was in getting some tyres...yes, more tyres...I may as well live up your place...and yep, the tyres on this one are mismatched and knackered so ill be in when its all back together....

Cleaned the tank off and replaced all the bolts that go into the tank with stainless jobbies, looks a lot better now...

15. Andy ill bring mine in and you can have a go....

16. I sat on the new one today, not for short people. I'm 6'2" and could get both feet flat though. Did think coming from sports bikes there is a lot of bits on show, if you ride in all weather's it's going to be a bitch to clean.

17. The evo is a lot lower plus the sp can be lowered...

Sent from Tablet

18. Was this the 939 sp cream ?

19. It's effectively the same as the 821...

Sent from Tablet

20. No, standard. Thought it looked really good.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information