1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyperstrada 821 Possibly Buying ?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Dubs, May 30, 2016.

1. Just wondering.....

Rode an 821 at the weekend. I will admit, getting off my 1200 SuperTenere it was very different! But not all bad. After half hr it clicked. Really enjoyed it. ( seen the youtoobe vid of the guy who bought a really bad one....yikes! ) :grimacing:

But im wondering.....that forward sitting over the front feels odd. Kinda like there is no protection (?) Id be using this bike daily so looking for thoughts on this quirkyness. Do you get used to it? Whats weather protection like?
    :kissing:

2. i've got the 939, but essentially the same bike. no weather protection at all. but you can fit the tiny screen from the hyperstrada.

i use mine daily and after 150 miles it's the most fun i've had on two wheels. i can't explain why, but we just clicked

• Like Like x 2
  3. like you both considering this or a monster 821, really want a duke for two up....got my 959, but don't want to buy a multistrada at this point

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Seen one with a luggage rack, looked tidy and its a nice bike. Kinda racy position but you should give it a whirly. Ride as many as you can while you can !

yeah, the dealer had a new sp939 hyper, wowza....some piece of kit and you'd need s step ladder to get onto it ! But think I will have to investigate further I think :wink:

I'm kinda just looking to buy a "fun" bike. Have a pani in the garage, but that's all serious and brutish...but in a great way ! Not doing too much two up these days so taking a break off the big traillie everyday will be a nice change.

5. Yes you do get used to it entirely. There is a performance seat that gives more movement to the back that is very well reviewed. Can't comment on the weather performance of the strada, but I imagine it can't be all that great, these are naked bikes after all.

6. Really cant see the issue with wind blast...my 1100 has no screen on it atall...at 70mph there is nothing notable called windblast...a couple of weeks back I went from swindon to Bristol on the m4 "at a good rate of progress" shall we say and even then the wind blast really wasn't that bad...ive also got a z1ooo and the same thing applies...

7. The wind blast only becomes a problem over 120. I wear an mx helmet n goggles and if not done up right tends to try and rip my head off over 100...the best fun bike ever

8. I bought one 4 weeks ago. I've a thread running on here about poor handling but only take notice of that if your in the want of really pushing along which is one of the reasons I bought my Strada.

The other reason was I wanted a break from sportsbikes , to reduce the fun from silly speeds to sensible speeds and it ticks that box.
    I went for a Strada so I could still have the sensible edge . I think I need to either ride my more ' Strada ' and less 'SP ' if that makes sense.
    Moving on whats good.
    Well the rest of it really.
    I love the riding position for comfort. It's electrics package is simply to use , and it does everything it should with ease unless you take into account that last 5% when pushing on in the bends.
    I'm 6ft3 . Wind is ok at sensible speeds , above that , well you cant travel at those speeds before getting a tug or a picture taken so I don't worry abou tthat.
    It's a bugger to clean with all it's nooks and crannies !
    I love the looks.
    I've dropped the panniers off mine. Very easy to do , and they seem ok for what they do but in truth I cant comment on long life of them.

I'll sum it up . If I can sort out my last 5% of handling then i'll have the perfect bike for me.
    Would I advise someone to buy one ?

Yes

• Like Like x 1
  9. The hyper series of bikes are a strange thing (all of them). They don't sell very well, are not very popular but when people take almost a bit of a leap of faith and get one, theyre then hooked on them...im on my third...

Although its not the 821 a few years back on the ducati.ms forum there was a thread running about the mileage you had gotten to...one lad from Australia chimed in with a pic of his clocks showing 99.999k....yep - that's right...he posted as he thought the clocks had broken but in fact ducati advised him that's where they stop so he had to buy new clocks....he used his 1100 for travelling round Australia (his only mode of transport) - he put up some pics and it looked like it had just been pulled out of a duck pond but, he said he followed the service schedule and it had never broken down, everything worked but said that the reason it looked the way it did was that he rode it in all weathers and when it rained it wasn't an issue as it was always warm...

When I got my first one I spoke to Rich at louigi and asked if there were any issues to which he replied "if you manage to blow one up I want to know how you did it as the engines are rock solid"....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ive had more bikes then i care to mention and after a few test rides i took the plunge and bought a hyperstrada 939. I normally average 3-4,000 miles a year. I have done 3,500 miles in less than 3 months and it is great fun and after a while you don't even remember sitting that close to the front. Going to the Alps in August and will put the panniers back on for that trip

11. I've always had Ducati sport bikes, but decided 4 months ago to buy a 939 sp, and what a bike. I'm fortunate enough to have a 1199 r in the garage and once every 2 weeks weather permitting of course had looked forward to getting out for a ride, but with the hyper 939 I just want to ride it every day, it's addictive. Like a few previous members have said, once you make the jump from sports etc to a hyper you most certainly wouldn't go back, awesome bike, highly addictive and great fun. At speed I didn't feel any buffering worth worrying about.

12. Yep - I went to the TT a few years back on my first 1100 hyper (an S) the only issue I had was the fact that it ran out of steam a little on the mountain section (got to about 130) then ran out of steam. On my RSV I get up to about 160 or so....but having said that I may take the hyper next year as just being a member of the public getting my mountain section fix is not the end of the world going as fast as I can as I'm not against the clock or anything like that....although its nice to give the RSV a good run out once a year...

13. I love my 821 but I'd like the SP model more for its adjustable front end.

I also ride mine more than my 1299. Even if I'm going out for a fast ride, I find the hyper great fun.

My only gripe is that I wish they made a 1200 version with the monster 1200 engine for some serious power. The 821/939 engines are a little lacking for some of my riding routes.

14. I've made it a goal of mine to not try 1000cc+ bikes. So I'm very happy with my 821. It's pretty damn fast for public roads.

15. You sound like me pal.
    I am currently back on a Diavel, but thinking about a 939 Hyperstrada. Gonna book a test ride for next week. I used to have the 1100 Hypermotard a few years ago, but got fed up with running out of steam in 3 figures ( but that doesn't bother me anymore), and the fact that it was a ball ache when going on little trips. I reckon the Hyperstrada ticks all the boxes ? Just out of curiosity, have you tried the 821 version , and if so, is there much noticeable difference ?

16. I've moved on since I wrote a reply , ive got more used to mine . Now I just wouldn't be with out it. I test rode a 939 , but bought the 821 on cost grounds. After playing more with the suspension and learning to ride it more suited to the bike I just love it.

I'll sum It up with last week I came home from work and the family was out. Normally I fudge around the house doing chores but this time it was grab the lid and shoot out just for the heck of it , something I haven't done for years !

I really do strongly advise a test on one but it does take a few trips out to ' get ' the way they are

17. Ohh I know exactly what you mean,
    When I had my 1100 `Motard, it felt strange at first, but once you had been out for a couple of hours, it all clicked in place. I ride dirt bikes anyway, so the forward riding position does not bother me. I just had a quick sit on the strada on Saturday and its very comfy.

18. I bought another seat for mine as like many , I found that the normal seat tends to keep you in one position and not allow you to move around much .

The race seat allows movement back and forth more .
    Ive had 25 + bikes from a GPZ600R back in 1986 almost all the way through to a few years ago and I can honestly say that my Hyper is pretty much the pick of them all. The only thing I would like is better quality suspension to allow more adjustments .

19. Yes , but yours is now up for sale ??

20. I have a hypermotard 821 for sale if of interest.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information