1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Initial Impressions Arai Rx7 Gp

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by RC1, Jul 26, 2016.

1. It smell great out the box! The fit is very snug but cosy not asphyxiating. The finish is excellent and the interior plush and comfortable.

I do not get that poxy air wing and visor removal and refitting is not as slick as some

Not tried it on the road yet but looking forward to it

Last lid I had was a shoei xr1000 and I only now realise that the fit on the shoei wasn't as well suited to my head as I thought it was

2. I've had one for the past 4 years. Brilliant helmet (but like you I have no idea about the "spoiler" thing.

I'm going to upgrade to the RX7V in the next couple of weeks I think.

3. I've worn the RX-7 GP for years and bought the RX7V a couple of years back. I wouldn't wear anything else.

IMG_3818.JPG

#3 Robarano, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. No other helmet I have tried can come close to Arai's ability to feel like it's just gently touching your head everywhere with no pressure points. The RX7 vents distribute the cool air evenly too. I don't even think about visor changing any more.

This weekend I borrowed a mates Schuberth C3 to try for a few days. It's the correct size but within 20 miles I can feel pressure on my forehead and my ears. The integral sun visor thing is a good idea but feels claustrophobic, seems prone to steaming up (even in this weather) and I don't like the gap at the bottom that is in line of sight when you look down at the instruments. The top vent flows plenty of air but just directs two streams on the top of your head that at speed feel like they are trying to drill holes in your head. Visor might be easy to change but feels floppy in comparison to my Arai. The whole thing feels somehow less substantial than my RX7.

Can't see me deserting Arai any time soon.

5. Forgot to mention the Schuberth is amazingly quiet though.
    Perhaps that's why I feel a bit isolated and a bit claustrophobic?

6. i have to say that i was quite surprised... i had tried on the rx7v the day before i ordered the gp against the x spirit 3.

i know they made some changes including the chin guard profiling and also to the pads and liners which for some people were not useful when comparing the gp with the 7v

the inside of the gp seems a better place to be at least for my head than the inside of the 7v and the padding was definitely more plush and firm... ive read reports of the 7v pads losing their plushness all to soon

i read a few reviews and ultimately opted for the older helmet but stocks of the gp are quite low given its obsolete now but managed to get a diamond black in the rights size from moto legends (excellent service and price)

cant wait to test it and have just ordered the held phantom 2 gloves from get geared (best price on the st by a mile with their price match)

if anyone is seriously in the market for a rx7v then do PM me because i came across a very interesting price during my research

7. sums it up perfectly

8. how come you left the wing sticker on?

9. I used to be Arai thru and thru and wear Arai RX7's - found them noisy and the padding gave too much - now wear HJC RPHA-10 - just as good IMO (plus no noise or padding issues)

10. ive heard about the noise and will have to see how it goes... any compromises with the hjc?

11. I have two RX7 helmets (one is old, the other is right up to date).
    Positives:
    Fit
    Spares availability
    Negatives:
    Noise
    Visor release system (great until a side-pod fails, then you're screwed. They only ever fail in the middle of a foreign country...). The amount of plastic actually holding the pod onto the helmet is minute.
    Transparent top vent cover (so you can see all of the shit caught there but cannot clean it out)
    Lack of mesh over vent holes inside the helmet (so you get lots of creepy crawlies itching your head during that full-on track-day session)

12. Because it was just out of the box when I took the picture.

And the spoiler sticker is probably still on most of these. :Shamefullyembarrased: As you can see, I'm not the person to ask about an unbiased opinion on an RX-7. :)

IMG_3405s.jpg

#12 Robarano, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Jeez! So that's about £6k of helmets. Do you have a helmet fettish?

14. and they are all in the same spot facing the same direction within their own little cubby holes

15. It kind of just crept up on me. :Wideyed:

16. the HJC is a very good helmet, and you can get a carbon version for less than a plain Arai. my glasses always used to slide down wearing the Arai not so with the HJC. I like them and have successfully tested a couple...

17. Wot no Hazlam rep?

18. I prefer the new Kenny Roberts rep. But I have to reign myself in. :Arghh:

19. I think the plush & removable interior is excellent which seems to act as memory foam and moulds itself brilliantly to your head, unlike some other helmets I've had. Its very comfy in a snug way...hear's mine
    IMG_0613.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Your collection is missing one of these black ones - bargain as its reduced by over £200......

Arai

Do Not Sell My Personal Information