1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Rossdj, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Right, I'm currently in saving mode, and will be for a while for what is a dream bike.

i just stuck my toe in the water with insurance, coming in at well over 5k with a 4k excess. Don't get me wrong I know it would be up there, but that's nuts. (My 1098s is less than 300 quid)

what kinda money is everyone paying?

cheers

2. Tried Ducati insurance yet?

3. Ducati insurance just quoted me £1,400 for a 1199s, had it from new, MCN £251.00

4. Hmm, 1199s from new for me was £1950 :(

1 years no claims, 1 accident a couple of years ago.

Should have said mine is with DI, they were the only ones who would actually qoute me!

#4 Matt DWrecker, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  5. 999s 250 quid here

6. DI for Desmo's unless you can add it onto a classic policy.

7. Ducati Insurance insure my Desmo for £1300, that's with 9 years NCB and a Newcastle postcode (Which might as well be Beiruit !)

Nobody else got close.

• Like Like x 1
  8. beiruit is probably safer than Newcastle mate:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Depends where you live really. My policy has to be with DI as no-one else will insure the Desmo, and with the 1199s and the 848 it costs lots (London postcode). Not quite 5k but over 2k and I have never had a claim on anything. Never gets cheaper either. Have had the Desmo for four years. Been staggeringly expensive on insurance from day-1 and never come down in price.

Cost of ownership I am afraid. Wait until you see a service bill post warranty!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. What's your no claim bonus look like? Last year I found a Panigale (Surrey post code, no accident/claim history, no points) nigh on impossible to ensure (i.e. >£2k) until I had a 2 year no claims bonus I could apply. The day that came available from my other bike I bought the Panigale and got comprehensive insurance for +- £900.

Ian

11. I have 9+ Years NCB and live in 2nd lowest area for insurance and I am 29, My insurance is £600 on my 848 but the excess is a joke, it's £750 i think.

Last year, with the same firm, I insured my Daytona 675 (2010) for £150 COMP..... That I think shows the difference that a combination of Value (11k versus £6.5k), Brand spares costs and risk of theft makes...

12. My old gsxr k51k was half the price and twice the bike lol

13. Ducati Insurance are the only company in the UK who will insure a D16RR. I pay £2,200 fully comp for seven bikes

DUCATI DESMOSEDICI RR
    DUCATI 996 SPS
    DUCATI ST4 S ABS
    SUZUKI RGV 250 N
    SUZUKI RGV 250 N
    YAMAHA TT 250 R
    KTM 990 SUPERDUKE

They live in a garage in Taunton, and I'm 48 with a ban and a few years NCB to my credit :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Is that on one Multibike policy Dave? As that seems very good.

I pay -
    Desmo - £1300
    Streetfighter S - £270
    1098s - £180
    Vespa GTS300 - £89
    Total - £1839.

All with varying degrees of NCD. I've insured my bikes on individual policies for years now, ever since I bought my 1098s and tried to add it to a multibike policy. The cost was astronomical. It meant building up individual NCD on each policy for a few years, but I have a lot more choice when it comes to renewal time now.

#14 Robarano, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  15. fuckin hell . I have a rider policy and pay about £130 I couldn't afford to have a bike if I was paying that.

16. The idea that insurance companies increase insurance premiums due to repair costs and bike prices comes up quite regularly. It's got almost nothing to do with the cost of repair or the bike, but the risk of a crash. The demographic attracted to a certain style of bike, the way that they are presumed to ride and the pre-judged risk factor of each individual machine.

It's a magical 'art' designed to disappear money from your bank account and reappear in the enormous profits of insurance companies. I seriously hate insurance companies.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Think my insurance last year for a Desmo and Pani Tricolore was around £1700 that's full protected NCB but have an outstanding claim... Still going through the mill 2 years ago, live in a decent area etc. the Desmo did 300 miles last year so contemplating lying it up this year depending upon the renewal.

18. I pay £470 fully comp for a modded 848 and monster 1100s. My excess is 350 each bike , and I have 5 years no claims. 848 on its own was 350 ish a year. Oh and I'm 29 too. And I very much doubt I live in the lowest area for insurance so sounds like you are being shafted a bit.

edited to add - I live in band c apparently.

#18 d8mok, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  19. Ah yes, I forgot, i have an outstanding claim from 2010 when somebody hit my car while parked. It was a company car and I claimed on the insurance to have it repaired. I paid the £250 excess and the total bill was about £1200. It's one of the worst decisions I've ever made, I't put a fortune on all of my insurance policies since and I still have to declare it for another year. I should have just paid to have the car repaired myself, it would have been a lot cheaper in the long run.

20. Try to insure a Desmo Peter, that'll kick the shit out of your rider policy :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information