1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investment Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by d8mok, May 18, 2016.

1. Looks like a river find...

2. Problem is if you have too many toys is difficulty in finding house with either large enough garage or space to build a large garage

Unless you have an unlimited budget space is a huge premium in this country

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Very true. I bought my 1000SSie 2005model Senna with just 6k miles for £2800! 4 years ago. Only bought it because the missus wouldn't get on the back of my Panigale. Bought it in complete ignorance. Fell in love with it straight away. Not sure what it's worth now but DMC sold one the same, not in mint condition like mine two years ago for £4500.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bough t my 916 in 2009 for £3k with 3.5k miles and spent about £500 putting it to standard,. Now got 4.5k on the clock and probably worth close to double what I paid. Not looking to sell any time soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. red ones are the proper colour....so they have the highest value.
    Next would be black or possibly Green, with Yellow (yuk) at the bottom....
    upload_2017-4-11_11-57-43.png

6. The most valuable Ducati's are silver actually :)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Really? back to Halfords for another 12 rattle cans then. Could have bloody told me!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. GSXR 1100 slabsider, they go like stink, handle well with modern Bridgestones. Get a good one though as there are a few around the £3K mark that need another £3K spending on them. Go for a good one around £5K, keep it dry and wax polished and run it!! keep the exhaust dry and original as most have after market pipes fitted. I've a lovely example with a non standard exhaust fitted while I ride it and the original exhaust placed in my loft greased up for if I ever sell her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oh, found this due to the new forum search function working - funny my next bike was going to be a 1098S Tricolore 20 months ago as the R's had already flown in value :thinkingface:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sorry to resurrect this old thread but was an interesting read.

Do you think a 748R or a 749R with less than 10kmiles at £10k have any value left in them as a medium term investment (5yrs) or has that ship sailed?

12. I paid £4000 for my 748r 8 years ago there mega money now if they sell, id try and find a mint 749r.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. They would have to be 100% original or at least close, a few for sale around, but with the wrong wheels etc.
    That would prove very costly to correct.
    Don't forget some years are far more desirable than others due to standard kit for that year.

14. Yes, I am looking at later 748R and a 749R with the carbon fairings, just trying to understand how original they are. The other bike I'm looking at is a 1999 996 Biposto with 7.5K miles that's £6.5k but completely original. Not sure which is the best direction to go:thinkingface:

15. I think the main thing is that you have to like the bike and buy it for that reason then at least you will enjoy ownership.
    If it appreciates in value then that’s a bonus.
    I think the ship has sailed for massive investment returns looking at the prices being asked now but who knows, a bargain could appear at any time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  16. Exactly, buy what you like. But be prudent, watch the market for a while, don't get excited and jump in. I usually buy a few years down the line when someone else has taken the depreciation and the bike has bottomed out. One exception would be my RD350LC which I bought a couple of years ago. It wa the bike of my youth, so had some sentimental pull. But even then I tried to buy the right one at the right price.

Don't buy if you are worried about losing money too, it's a motorbike primarily, buy it as such.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  17. No I wouldn’t buy if I was worried about losing money, I’m just interested in people’s opinion of which, on the face of it, of the 3 bikes I’ve listed would be the better bet (emphasis on bet)
    748R <6kmiles, £10k
    749R 10kmiles £8.5k
    996 biposto 7.5kmiles £6.5k

Just interested in your opinion of which will go up in value.

18. Hang on let me just grab my crystal ball!! :p

19. I believe the 749r 2004 is more desirable that a 748r and I'd rather have a 998r (cause I like em).
    Plenty of 996 out there at better prices.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information