1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Is It Just The Multi?!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by bradders, Apr 3, 2016.

1. seems loads have lots of issues, and always have, just wondering if this is just winging owners (certain type buy multi maybe and remember I have one!) or just the multi that suffers issues constantly ??

2. Good question. Some have very few problems whilst others have loads.

What I find difficult is that if all of these problems are being resolved by Ducati under warranty then surely they should be able to identify and get on top of the problems.

I have just been told that it could be June / July before replacement heated grips are going to be available. Are they waiting for a new revised version or have they just run out of spares ?

I suspect that replacement fuel senders were being put in knowing that they were not right.

3. 18 month old Pikes Peak, 6400 miles and has now developed a rumble in the engine. Confirmed at Ducati Coventry yesterday it's a problem and they are so busy that I don't know how many weeks they will have it before it's sorted. I'm supposed to be going away to Scotland for 6 days mid May and I suppose there's a chance that's in jeopardy. Why don't we get given courtesy bikes in this type of situation. There was a guy at the dealers with a new base DVT who had a gearbox issue and he had been without his bike for 8 weeks. Deeply p....d off. Let's hope the problem is an easy fix and I can get it back quickly, don't think I'm going to be that lucky. Back brake is shite and the starts with failed recently. Beginning to tire of Ducati reliability with some issues with original multi, then my panigale, and now this. The KTM GT is looking appealing but more money lost on current bike if I chop it again.

4. More the point is it just the multi range. You rarely hear of panigale issues, never hear of diavel ones, how about monsters?! Many shared engines and running trim, yet failure seems centred on multi?!

5. ;)

#5 Hyperextended, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  6. Having spoken to other multi owners (and being one myself), i'd say they're unreliable. Maybe it's the type of riding that we put them through. They are meant to be hardcore mile munchers after all. If it weren't such an awesome bloody bike to ride i'd have gotten rid of it for a KTM 990 SM/SMR/SMT and spend the money that the Muti requires on parts and servicing, on bling and goodies. That may still happen but i'm going to get a bit more usage out of it yet.

7. Maybe an idea to buy an older one with a few miles on her hoping that all the niggles have been sorted by then?

Always fancied a Multi myself but all these tales make me worried as I'd be getting an early one....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clutch slave replaced on DVT after 2k, replaced with same slave. The very same slave that was a problem on the twin spark.
    As for fuel sendor, replacement lasted about 2 months, now waiting for another one (the same) but on back order as demand outstripping supply!
    You got a luv em

9. The DVT does seem to have its fair share of issues and I guess we are all guenia pigs
    It's my third brand new bike ,though all the others have had their share of issues
    2011BMW S1000rr
    New sump twice
    Quick shifter
    Switch gear both sides
    Wobbly Cush drives
    Did manage 20 k miles on it though and it never let me down on trips

Ktm 1190 adv 2014
    8k miles
    Lost its mind , wouldn't switch off
    Was without the bike for 3 weeks

dvt 2000 miles
    Shit heat grips
    Leaky forks
    Leaky front brake reservoir
    So far.........

#9 fatbob99, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. How many of each are on the road and how many miles do they do ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. My clutch slave went on the panigale at 4k, fill of water and rusty as hell. Seems all too common. I love my bike, it's the only current bike I really want but I'm beginning to lose the faith.

12. Beat me to it......is it just there are more Multi's on the road that do more miles?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. A good number of the reports are of bikes that have done less than 5000 miles.

Now I don't know about you but 5000 miles seems like nothing to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. There are Multi's everywhere, I made a tit of myself the other week chasing down a friend on his... But it wasn't him, same reg year, exhaust, top box and it even had the same motografix sticker kit, alas not the right rider.

That being said, a random biker flagged me down the other day "your tail light is falling out!" I finally had a proper look at it on Friday and both mounting lugs have snapped clean off.

15. Can't say I've done a survey or monitored the problematical ones, do I'll take your word for it.

And I agree 5000 miles is bugger all, so I'd put all the problems down to "newness" ;)

16. Sorry but I've got to say, my 2010 multi has never had a single issue other than a busted fork seal at 16k miles.
    Guess that makes you lot a bunch of whingers or I'm exceptionally lucky with mines... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. On snake pass today I seen 7 multis on each leg of my romp across it. Two lads on matching 16 plates and helmets.

18. So far so good for my 12 model.

19. When I first got my GS1150 and went on UKGSer forum I thought "wtf have I bought" as the pages were full of gripes and complaints about problems ...... 35,000 miles later and only real problem was a snapped V belt that took out the hall sensor

I thought the same when I bought the Multi and came on here to see what issues there was ....out of all the ones I read about my heated grips didn't work when I bought it, one of the LEDs didn't work and have had some engine oil emulsion but all sorted FOC by dealer. we all post about faults and whinges but nobody wants to read a thread that says

"bugger all went wrong with my bike today, I just rode it and laughed";)

I bought my Multi in August last year with 5000 miles on it, turned 11,000 miles today and its been ridden all winter as my daily transport....hasn't melted, hasn't blown up and has made me laugh out loud and smile a lot at just how much fun it can be to ride .. grinning like a fool this afternoon at 3 figure speeds cranked over on a sweeping fast bend and just felt planted and as if it wanted to go quicker...love it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 6
  20. I have and 2 new Multis, and now a New Monster in the past few years, I have to say mechanically pretty sound so far, yes a few minor issues, same as all bikes now days being dropped onto the market to allow consumer testing.
    12k miles on my 2013, about 6k on my DVT so far 2k on Monster.
    People have huge differing variations of expectations, some the slightest dis-colouring of a bolt and it is the end of the world, others like myself not overly bothered, or if a trip reset is resetting, it will get sorted in the end, for me the most important thing is you ride it, you enjoy it, it always gets you home.
    The few minor recalls, and slight problems I have had all been repaired updated under warranty is annoying but not enough to stop me buying another Ducati at present, and certainly seems no worse than all the other manufacturers these days.

• Like Like x 7
Do Not Sell My Personal Information