1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 S Is This A Flashback Bad Dream, Or Another Monster 1200s

Discussion in 'Monster' started by flatairbag, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Audi!... IMG_2601.JPG

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Might be wrong but didn't they'd say a quick shifter is available rather than standard ? Or was he talking about the 1200 Monster, I'd probably lost interest by then.

Whenever manufacturers keep bringing out updated models makes me think that they're not selling very well, if they were, why keep changing them.

3. And with so many affordable PCP deals how are dealers shifting the trade-in stock? The place where I got my 1200S still have the Multistrada I part-ex'd in July, along with several others. That's a lot stock sitting there depreciating...

4. It was mentioned by Claudio that what started as a simple refresh got a bit out of hand and they built a near new bike.

Are they continuing the 1200R for next year? It would be a shame if they didn't give it the same treatment and new components.

I would love them to build a naked that felt as special as my 1299 when I sat on it.

New Super Duke R looks some craic though!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. My feeling is an update R will follow some time next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Take comfort in the fact that it's not YELLOW :tongueout:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  7. Interesting read....i did watch the presentation....i must confess ive lost count of all the different versions and what they do/have bolted on to them. If the ecu is anything like the rsv4 then you should be able to retro fit at least the QS, maybe the IMU but yer gonna need space for all those bits but, again you could be lucky as seeing as theyre so close all the various mount points for the hardware could already be in place...again...same for the rsv4 - if i want to retro fit the aprc stuff to mine it can be done...i just cant be fucked to pull it all apart to do it...plus theres the buying of the hardware also...

8. I recently learned the the current 1200S And 1200R only differ in power due to the larger headers and different mapping. So in theory it ought to be possible to make 160hp with some larger headers and a re-map on the existing S model... I bet even without the headers you'd still get it close.

9. ...the R has also got larger elliptical throttle bodies with an equivalent diameter of 56mm (versus 53mm on the 1200S). Not sure how much extra HP they make though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I think the difference between the two models is still going to be that the R is more heavily track focussed with the lightweight wheels, Supercorsa Pro SP tyres and greater ground clearence etc albeit hopefully the quickshifter will be a retrofit option

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I put these questions I had to Tim Maccabee, Managing Director of Ducati UK.. who has been prompt to reply and very helpful with the following information.

-----------------------------------------------

Monster 1200R is still the Monster family top bike, it’s a special object, more racing-oriented with many particular and dedicated parts.

Vs the S, the R has several advantages which are consistent with its position as the most sporting Monster model:

- Power + 10 hp, Torque + 0.5 kgm
    - Dry weight -5 kg
    - “R” livery with flyscreen.
    - Wheels: Marchesini forged vs cast, Rear wheel: 200 mm vs 190 mm
    - Tyres: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP vs Pirelli Diablo Rosso III
    - Increased ground clearance.
    - Non-adjustable seat (it’s lighter and sportier)
    - Ohlins Steering damper as a standard equipment
    - Aluminium plate holder vs plastic

The two dashboards are similar but there are some differences: the graphic design is different (the background of the R is metallic, while the background of the S is black/white). Both Dashboards display gear position while the one of the S also shows the fuel level.

Regarding retro-fit of the cornering ABS and quickshifter to the 2016 R, unfortunately this will not be possible.

At Model Year 17 prices, the S is £14,295 and the R is £15,995.

------------------------------------------------

He also confirmed that the '2017 R' will not get the 'revised S' features of Quickshifter, ABS etc.

12. Hi Nik,

Not quite right that - 1200 and 1200S share common Motor, just mapped differently. 1200R has the big headers and different cams and mapping (more aggressive in sport mode apparently), as advised by wilf

Ped

13. Wilf's wrong about the cams, 2016 S and R both have the same cams, intake (P/N 14823431B) and exhaust (P/N 14823451B). The 2016 R had larger 56mm elliptical throttle bodies than the 2016 S (basically similar to 1198 throtle bodies), these will be fitted to the 2017 S.

I'd therefore expect that the new 2017 S could be remapped to make the same output as the R, although you might need to add the headers.

I had an S and I've changed it for a R this year. It is annoying that the quick shifter wont be retro fitable on the R, but I can fit a healtech unit instead, and I'm not bothered about the other bits (I like to pull wheelies).

For those of you that have an R too it still holds a few key advantages over the new S:
    better wheels and tyres
    7Kg lighter
    steering damper
    screen
    better ohlins forks (the 2017 S has the same crap FL9110 ohlins as 2016 S)
    larger tank
    better ground clearance with 1299 pegs.

The R is still a better bike if you ride harder. If you dont then you probably didn't buy an R in the first place!

14. Why are the FL9110 Ohlins crap?!

15. The FL9110 dont have enough damping, I ran with the rebound screwed all the way in and it was still no where near enough. I spoke to Steve Jordon about revalving them and it was cheaper just to buy the R instead with the FL9220 forks as they have the NIX30 cartridge kit fitted in them.

16. See, you neeeeeeeeeed an R!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Just watched this and to be honest, apart from the dreary narrative, the bike doesn't really look or sound like it's top of its game.

Down on power vs the majority of the competition, only beating half in the torque stakes, and then there's that world renowned Ducati build quality showing through in the pipework turning grey (instead of black) and the heel guards marking up in a single days test ride.(See end of video)

You would have thought that a company built on style (occasionally over substance) would have been able to make sure the test bikes looked worth the £14.5k wouldn't you?

Honestly, the mind boggles

18. Reinforces what ive been saying for years....while i love the bikes...and this goes for me (dunno about anyone else) but if im going to buy a bike i always factor in an amount for fixings and coatings - if im going to buy a ducati i double it. In fact im considering taking the hyper off the road for a little bit to get the engine covers coated as theyre starting to pit and the weather is getting behind them...

19. Having now seen the 1200R and the 1200S side by side at the NEC I can confirm that the R is a significantly higher spec bike, The components are generally of a higher specification ie front forks, wheels, the stunning front mudguard etc and it is clear that the R is the more track focussed machine. Quickshifter aside I for one am happy that the additional money I spent on my 1200R provides value for money in a Ducati world .......

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information