1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

939 SP It's Dead.

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by RK6, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Well, after a whopping 1,721 miles my Hyper 939 SP is completely goosed.

It tried to launch me into space last night by locking the back wheel at a speed I won't mention. Luckily I managed to grab the clutch and keep it in a vaguely straight line.

Gave it a quick check over and assumed it'd just cut out so restarted it. It sounded ok at idle so I proceeded gingerly. Started sounding rough so I looked down to see the exhaust heat shield flapping around. Decent, just a rattle! Nope. A handful of throttle resulted in the bike sounding like someone battering a saucepan with a couple of ladels.

Easily the worst engine knock I've ever heard... Loads of folk say Ducati's sound like a bag of spanners which is usually inaccurate but definitely not in this case.

My guess is that a belt has slipped and knocked it out of time. Unfortunately the engine is full of lightweight soft components so going by the noise it made, it'll be completely wrecked.

Will follow up with some carnage pics once it's been stripped by Ian Murray in Edinburgh.

2. not good. At least you didn't crash.

3. Hope it's a warranty job

4. Is it still under warranty??

5. It must be if it's a 939. New bike at Ducati's expense then.

6. Then I need to see all the damage... Always makes for good viewing

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

7. Sorry to hear this but pleased your OK.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ducati will fix it. They're not going to give a new bike.

Pretty sure several multistradas have suffered engine failures at 15k+.

Maybe all these new models have crank bearings made from the finest Mozarella.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. 939 run shell type main bearings

10. As in...?

IMG_1796.JPG

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Thanks folks.

It's definitely a warranty job as the bike is a 16 plate with only 1700 miles on the clock.

It was picked up yesterday and transported to Ian Murray motorcycles down (up to most of you guys) in Edinburgh however unfortunately their techs are away in Bologna on a training course this week so I won't see the damage till next weekend at the earliest.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Turns out it isn't as easy as they thought to remove the engine so I won't know what's happened until next weekend now. :persevere:

13. It's already been a month, really feel for you. Bad time of year as the workshop will be busy with cash rich servicing. Do you have a 2nd bike or have they loaned you one?

14. A month to remove an engine WTF!

15. Yup. They did warn me that they were busy in all fairness but I didn't expect it to take quite as long as it is taking. Apparently Ducati UK only allow a day to take the engine out and strip it down so that's what they booked it in for on Thursday but the tech didn't manage to get the engine out (let alone strip it) before he bailed for the day so now they need to wait for the next opening in their service schedule which is Thursday next week.

I sold my previous road bike to buy this one so I'm currently bikeless. I hadn't even thought about a loan bike until last night as it was a beautiful evening (super rare in Aberdeenshire at this time of year) so I was really missing the bike.

Ian Murray Motorcycles aren't a Ducati dealer, they're just an authorized service centre so I doubt they can provide a loan bike. Not sure where I'd stand with Ducati UK though...

16. My faultistrada went to an independent garage as I expressed a lack of trust in my local authorised dealer (being as they did a full engine rebuild 12 months prior). Guy had the engine out and stripped in a couple of days.

I know with yours being under warranty, you don't have that option. It does show that if they want to, an engine can be out far quicker than a month. I wonder how willing they are to fit warranty work in around paying customers getting their bikes ready for the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Not very willing at all by the looks of things. :pensive:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Not having the engine out in a day is not good enough. Any competent mechanic can do it in that time.

I just removed and partially stripped an F10 M5 engine in one day, a far bigger job.

And leaving it till next Thursday to get back on it is bad practice. He'll have to remind himself where he left off.

Poor performance from Ian Murray if you ask me.

19. Should have stuck with it until it was out at least..

Problem with warranty work is they will get paid less hours than they take and get paid less per hour. Not a huge incentive to get the job done.

Saying that I've never seen an engine take more than a day to get out?. We recently had a Big Bang R1 in and that took 6 hours to remove and replace the engine..

You just have to get your head down and getnon with it!.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. I think you should be leaning a bit more heavily on Ducati UK. As far as they are concerned they only have a duty to get the bike repaired within the warranty, but unless specifically excluded in the warranty agreement they should be liable for any consequential losses. ie Hire of replacement bike, alternative travel expenses, etc. After all it is Ducati's fault, not your's that the bike broke down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information