1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Had A Xdiavel S Demo...

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Paul Beglarian, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Both very nice, i think if I hadnt liked the feet forward so much and xdiavel looks deff would of had a diavel. Or been tempted to wait see if they revised it with Dvt engine etc.

As it is xdiavel on the way!!

2. Took my Multistrada in for an oil change today and as I had an hour and a half to kill the nice people in the Sales Dept asked me if I would like a toy to play with while I waited as only one of the demo bikes was booked this afternoon. So choice of new Multistrada, different size Panigali's or the just in this week brand spankers X-Diavel S demo bike...... I opted for the "cruiser"......yeah a cruiser with 3 mode launch control but more of that later ;)

[​IMG]

First off I am not a fan of the genre at all and have never actually ridden anything of that style before with the feet forward controls set up, low seat and wide bars so everything would be new to me.

Usual keyless start up and away we go with me trying to remember to put my feet forwards onto the pegs and find the gearchange which takes a little getting used to. Its a long reach to the grips and I am not short of arm so midgets might struggle. The seat is very low and you most definitely feel "sat in" the bike, not on it. The 1262 DVT engine is to put it bluntly fucking amazing.....it pulls like nothing I have ridden before at low revs and made me actually laugh out loud the first time I gave it a handful through the gears. I ran the bike in Sport and Touring rider modes with Sport being the preferred choice for me, quick action throttle and stiff set up. On A roads at legal speeds it growls nicely and a little twist of throttle has you booming past cars easily....bit more throttle and it pulls like mad and you really have to hang onto the bars. Approaching 3 figures I actually found my right foot and leg being blown off the footpeg while trying to hang onto the bars. It handles really well and despite the truck sized back tyre turns in well and the suspension feels very comfortable. The brakes are superb as you expect from brembo set up and tried the cornering ABS but couldn't get it to kick in without pushing it.......... I didn't push it too much on an 18,400 quid bike that wasn't mine

[​IMG]

Back to the aforementioned launch control ....holy shit. It has 3 levels and lets you launch 3 times before the ECU stops it till it calms down again. I tried it in level 3 (lowest) and the dash lights up with "Pull in Clutch, Select 1st gear, Hold max throttle, release clutch" ....feels so wrong to hold the throttle to the stop as the bike holds 8,500 revs then let the clutch go as the bike takes off like a rocket , traction control light flashing as it copes with wheelspin while I try and hold on, move my feet forward and find 2nd gear. I'll be honest, on the first launch I couldn't get my feet sorted and closed the throttle to calm it all down. On the 2nd one I managed better and held throttle open from take off to 4th gear .....fucking hell its quick

[​IMG]

I had the bike for an hour and a half and its completely hatstand mental. Would I buy one as my only bike, nope, would I have one in the garage if I was one of the lucky ones who have the choice of a couple of bikes, money no object, absolutely [​IMG]

If you get the chance, ride one...... totally different to the standard Diavel riding position and rumours are the feet forward position might be adapted with a kit to move the controls back to a more conventional set up ..... Superb bike to ride and the engine power and feeling is astounding

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds pretty amazing the launch control nuts lol, think i will try on a quiet road first, it launches at 8.5k seeeems very high! but guess it knows what its doing.
    I found same over a 100 or so my feet were being pushed off pegs!

4. I so wanted to have a play with the launch but chickened out, the fear of it going wrong on a demo and it catapulting me off was enuff to stop me, I too had the issues with my little legs/feet getting blown off, on return the dealer said they are doing a mid position peg setup soon.

It was nice just to have a working back brake [emoji16]

5. Same here they said can try if want but on your head be it lol.
    I got it in sport mode half way through and that was mental enough! Great torque and top end.
    Pegs were on mid position out of 3 I think I be ok with them on closest. Yeah the Dp kit mid control kit be 1k I bet lol!
    Belt drive felt very smooth to.

6. :D

The dealers I use had one of the lads on a Ducati jolly a few weeks ago and on the XDiavel day he tried the launch control in level 1 and shit himself ..... he was the one that told me to try it .... on level 3 of course

He did laugh a lot as he told me and to hang on :D

I used it on an up slope slip road onto a dual carriageway .......... to say I arrived on the dual at speed is an understatement

7. Does sound mental, but got to trust in the traction control etc!
    eeeeek lol

8. How many times will you use launch control ?
    My car has it - and in two years I have never used it.

9. Every traffic light stop, no not really I be to cautious expect will only use when it's safe to do so.
    I was more keen on getting cornering Abs and Bosch Imu, cruise control be good to.

10. If it's anything like a skyline it needs a new gearbox after 11 launches @ £15k

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Why would you want launch control on a bike?

12. I guess its like any electronic aid, not needed if rider is good, but ABS etc I think is a god send in those moments where things just stop abruptly! For me the ABS and traction control will be great for those damp cold days.
    Saw mine at dealer yesterday woohooo!

x3-small.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Went on the first ride on my XDiavel S yesterday. Took the long way home from work. 5 km was turned into 230 km. Not disappointed. I was really surprised at how extremely flickable it is and how easy it is to ride. If Even with the long wheelbase and the angle of the front, it wants to turn. Both when you flick it in traffic and when you turn it on backroads. It is great in city traffic! I'm still breaking it in and didn't get it past 140 kmh. Going 130-140 is extremely comfortable - except for the wind resistance which would probably be a bit much on longer rides. Looking forward to seeing how the windshield works out - whether it just creates buffeting or actually helps avoid wind on the helmet going faster. I kinda like the sound of it. Of course sound is subjective and the best sounding bike/exhaust, I've ever heard is the Roland Sands exhaust on my wife's Harley Sportster. This is not quite as loud but the rumble of the 1262 v-twin is music to my ears. Crossing over to Ducati, I am surprised at how much the bike shakes, even at 3-4000 RPM. This bike has loads of character. All in all, I'm a happy new ducatisti.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Your going to be disappointed all the rumors suggest there will be no Diavel. The factory aren't building any currently. Someone on the Diavel forum was at the factory on a tour and everyone was tight lipped about the Diavels future and a few guys have heard from dealers the Diavels is no more [emoji20]

15. Well that will be sad - but the XD is a worthy successor - looks like my choice is made for me

16. Why oh why no skyhook suspention on this bike, it would be the last bit of the jigsaw. Loved riding it apart from that hard ride. Would still have it for a 2nd bike.
    Regards
    paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Not what I heard today :)

18. Tell more that's the last rumor I've read. I was hoping for variable motor and cornering abs

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

19. I have always wanted the Diavel since release, picked up a small hard back catalogue at dealer and was like got to have. Seeing that rear tyre/wheel for first was omg!
    I reckon they will keep Diavel on as its in most ways totally different to the X.
    I went for standard xdiavel in end not sure why just some aspects spoke to me more than normal diavel, only had a few weeks but love it and the feet forward and comfy seat you sit in is great no need to move at all just lean in to corners. I dont think personally keyless is needed just more to go wrong etc, so far touch wood mine has worked fine. Do love the varying screen options to. The belt drive to gives great feel to transmission no lash at all.

20. i didnt try it yet i will consider it if the pegs are not that forward. i would even do some custom parts on it like may be a clip ons but i sit on it in the motorcyle show. it didnt do it for me

Do Not Sell My Personal Information