1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Had A Xdiavel S Demo...

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Paul Beglarian, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Well chaps I can chime in on this thread.

A few weeks ago my 1299 Panigale was in for first service. Had a 25 minute test ride on the Xdiavel S.

On the ride I was in love. Just felt like a relief to be able to cruise along with cruise control and enjoy it, a few blips up to 100+ to see how it faired and I was very happy.

3 weeks on I'm now contemplating trading in my 6 month old 1299 for the Xdiavel S. I'd love to keep both but can't justify 2 bikes with the little mileage I do.

Only problem was my legs were aching from forward controls, didn't feel natural. But the riding position was great and not having sore wrists was a welcome change.

Might be the end for my 1299.

2. Apparently there's a "sports" peg conversion which puts the pegs in a more "normal" position, rumour has it, it's a Ducati steel at £600

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bargain of the week goes to........

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

4. I had a test ride on an XDiavel today and it didn't go well.
    While stationary at a junction and putting my left foot down my trouser leg got caught on the 'lump' sticking out the side, resulting in a little too much lean :(
    I don't understand why, when Ducati went to so much trouble redesigning the engine and making improvements like moving the water pump, they stick this thing on the side (I'm sure someone will tell me what it is - I think it's the clutch slave).
    Anyway, I got back onto the wheels and continued the ride.

Some thoughts:
    I didn't find the engine as smooth as my Multi DVT and finding neutral was a real challenge (I realise that the engine and gearbox had not been fully run in and so could improve).
    I found the ride harsh, and certainly no better than the Diavel - actually much worse if you've got a bad back 'cos you can't take the weight on your legs.
    Handling was pretty good, and maybe a touch easier than the Diavel, but not a patch on the Multi.
    I found the positioning of the clutch lever and control cluster a little odd and high beam was on and off like a jack rabbit.
    On closer inspection it seemed to me that there was more visible wiring than I would have expected and the forward controls look like an afterthought, stuck on the sides and not integrated like the Diavel. I know they are designed to move forward/back but they just don't look like an integral part of the bike.

I'm sorry to say that my original thoughts of adding an X to my insurance have been consigned to the bin - I really wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be.

[​IMG]

#44 Stanford, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  5. The original pictures of the test mule, published in many mags immediately piqued my interest and as soon as I saw the final pictures, I knew I wanted one. Tried a Diavel a couple of years ago and I remained uninterested. I thought the Monster 1200S very nice till I tried one in traffic, whereas the DVT engine in the MultiStrada was peachy. If only they'd make a DVT Monster.

But I also like a bit of cruising and the new XDiavel looked likely to satisfy my desires for both a DVT Monster AND a cruiser. Then I happened to call in to Alton Ducati and they had a nice shining new XDiavel S on demo. Well it would have been rude not to try it wouldn't it. :grinning:

I have to say, not at all disappointed. First impression was that it's much smaller and lighter (weight and riding feel) than I expected. Pleasantly so. I thought engine performance was as good as expected, as was handling and largely comfortable, although the bars are a little straight for me. I prefer more 'sweep' back, but not a deal breaker.

I'm not unused to forward footrests and at times they can be really comfortable, but I usually find myself also longing for more normally positioned controls. Ideally I'd like both and be able to move my feet to wherever was comfortable at that time. So I've been interested to see what Ducati's mid control kit would be like. But Alton Ducati seem to think that unfortunately, the idea has been dropped and there will be no such kit. This isn't hard fact yet, but be warned, we may never see it.:cry:

To those who simply say "if you want mid controls, get a Diavel" I'd say that I don't like the Diavel and would never buy one. What's wrong with liking most of a bike, but wanting to make a few changes? I don't think I have EVER not modified any bike of mine, in some way, to suit me better. When I have an XDiavel, I will look into modifying the bars and also the controls position, to suit me. If someone else doesn't want to do that to theirs, that's fine too.

From which you can gather that yes, I'm firmly hooked. I will definitely be buying an XDiavel S. Not sure exactly when as I have to sell other stuff first, but get one I will. I actually think the bike is completely brilliant and look forward to when I have one in my garage.

Anyone want to buy a MINT 1 year old V-Rod Muscle????

6. You're right, it is the clutch slave cylinder and I am similarly puzzled as to why they went to so much trouble with the rest of the bike and then this is sticking out so far.

But it doesn't detract from my love of and desire for the XDiavel S. However, I will definitely be looking into some sort of cover to ensure trousers CANNOT get caught.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's definitely worth sorting some sort of cover for the clutch slave cylinder, even if to just improve the aesthetics.
    I like to think I'm not a complete numpty on bikes but that thing caught me out badly, and I wasn't even wearing flares :).

8. Flares? On a a bike?

Oh yes, I can remember. Getting caught on the kickstart, but just the same results. Although on the other side of course.

And then there was the oil they used to wipe off the oil tank while you were riding. Lovely. Those were the days. :grinning:

But back to the XDiavel. I'm thinking a nice rounded cover that any clothing would not be able to get caught on - in say, carbon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. p.s. I did like the self-cancelling indicators on the X, they seemed to work really well (I wish the Multi had proper ones).

10. lol I was not wearing flares either and have caught mine a few times, rotating the bleed nipple cover inwards made it better for me, agree it seems a bit of an after thought to have not atleast added a smooth over over it of some sort.

I am loving mine, feel like im riding the bat bike or something lol or ghost rider lol. I only want to change the exhaust so far to and do something with number plate, overall though Ducati make great looking bikes, on Jap bikes I end up swapping over half the bike lol.

11. Yep work really well for me, luv having the light up switches and be able to adjust things from them to.

One niggle though is the display/idiot light unit never looks dead straight its mounted on rubber mounts just seems to move if put straight only talking a mm's, demo bike did same.

12. Perhaps a short term solution might be to tuck your trousers in your boots? It may not be your chosen style, but not as bad as being on your side ;)

13. Or bicycle clips. DP billet ones obviously

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I took an X-Diavel out for a spin yesterday. Did about 80 miles on it on assorted roads. Loved the the looks, the engine is stonking and the handling very good. Two gripes, one huge, one minor. The huge one is the rear shock on potholes and ruts typically found on UK A and B roads. F*cking hell, I was looking for new kidneys and new fillings after the trip. The old Diavel was similar in this respect (though I don't remember it being quite so bad, maybe because of the peg position allowing your legs to take some of the shock). The old Diavel had a big knob (hurr, hurr) that you could soften the suspension with but as you need tools on the X I wasn't able to fiddle.
    So what's the story? Is it adjustable to make it a lot better or would you need to add the cost of an Ohlins to the £18.4K bill?

15. Oh! Forgot about the minor: I would immediately take a dremel to the f*cking headlight dip switch which protrudes so much it constantly catches your clutch hand and ends up on full beam. I had to turn off full beam about 30 times during my trip. Annoying!!
    Other than that, beautiful bike but my 2010 Ohlins Multi was like a magic-carpet ride home along the same roads.

16. I didn't notice a problem with that on my short XDiavel test ride. But the KTM 1290 Super Duke R and others that use the same switch have this problem in a big way. Many owners have had to cut down the switch to avoid the problem. I used a hacksaw :smile:

17. Yep, my hyper and 1299 both have that annoying high beam switch too. Clever Ducati.

18. I'd live with that if the indicators work.

19. The overly firm suspension was poor on poor roads but great on smooth tarmac, as I said earlier this bike needs the skyhook and it would be great

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. That's what I'm hoping for IF they update the original Diavel.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information