1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lathe Owners

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by paulm2930, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Any lathe owners on here willing to take on a very small job for a fee? Basically, I have a pin that attaches to a front under yoke paddock stand that is too small, I need one made a little bigger to take up the gap compared to the existing one. It'll require a length of steel bar turned to 26mm with a shoulder to support the bike. Length would need to be no more than 100mm. See the photo attached, this is the original to give you an idea of what I need.
    Can any one help?
    Paul

IMG_1277.JPG

2. Stupid question..... are you sure its 26mm? Its an unusual size, more common would be 25.4mm = 1 inch.
    To be clear then... If the total length is 100mm,

Then how long is the 26mm section?
    How long is the thicker shouldered section, and what diameter should it be.
    Finally there's a hole drilled through the thicker section, is this required too, if so what diameter should it be?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Can't do anything on my Harrison lathe until it gets here from the south which could be a month if that helps.
    Again some more detail would help

4. Thanks for the replies guys. I have attached a drawing of what I'd like,

MisterB- 25.4mm is probably right, I kind of measured it in situ and facing upside down with a tiny metal rule so if 25.4 is what is known then you're probably right. On the pic I've written a 1 and 2 between the shoulders, the distance between these can be as short as pos whilst strong enough so feel free to alter where needed. The section with the hole is 18.5mm by 42 if it's not legible on the pic. Hole is 7mm And centre is 17mm from end.
    I think that's all that is needed. Thanks

IMG_1283.JPG

5. ok, I'll need to check if my mate has suitable steel bar stock, if he has shouldn't be a problem to make it. Alternative is to make it in alloy, a lot easier to machine... would that be suitable?

6. You can get 1" rod or bolt easy

7. Indeed, but the total diameter is more than an inch

8. Well I was hoping to take advice on that, I don't know if alloy will be strong/durable enough. It's probably easily strong enough but I'm only guessing rather than knowing.

9. I called my mate earlier, he's got plenty of steel stock, so no problem with making it in steel. I'll go over and see him on Thursday, and if your happy with the dimensions you've given, I'm sure we can make it between cups of tea. Probably cost £10 for his time/material.

10. Total bargain given the time and material costs.

11. Yeah great, go for it. I appreciate the help so thanks.

12. ok, I'll send you an update end of this week.

13. Its made to your dimensions, from a 35mm steel bar, hence the middle shows surface corrosion, since we couldn't machine it off, otherwise it wouldn't be the require 35mm. Cost from my mate is £15, I dont know the postage yet, I'll have to go the post office next week. If you have Paypal, PM me and you can pay my mate that way when I know the Postage, otherwise PM me anyway to sort something out.

008.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information