1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Le Mans: Dovizioso Back On The Podium

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by El Toro, May 19, 2015.

1. After a blip at Jerez, Andrea Dovizioso returned Ducati to the MotoGP podium with third place in Sunday's French MotoGP.

PA1706380.0008.jpg

The Italian lost second place to countryman Valentino Rossi on lap 13 of 28, later backing off to ensure his fourth rostrum from five starts.

“We have to be happy because we are back on the podium, we already make four podiums in five races, so this is really good. We don't have to forget that, but it was another confirmation that we miss a little bit to fight for the victory,” Dovizioso said.

“We have the speed, also at the beginning when Lorenzo made a really incredible lap time. But maybe we still use too much grip to go fast and after a few laps I can't keep the same lap time.

“But we are very close. Today we finish 12 seconds behind, but only because I slowed down at the end. There was no reason to take risk. But I believe we are very close to the Yamaha so we have to keep fighting.”

Pressed further on what exactly the Desmosedici GP15 needs, Dovizioso replied: “The main point I believe is the traction. Also some other points. We don't have any big problems but small things are enough to not finish first.

“I use too much grip to go fast. So I use the tyre to go fast and after, for example ten laps, we have less grip than the competition. But like I say we are very, very close. We don't have to find something big like last year when we had a big problem turning.

“Grip is more about the set-up and balance. This bike is still quite new so I hope there is a margin to improve and we need time to test to try different things to understand.”

Dovizioso has dropped one place to third in the world championship, four points behind Le Mans winner Lorenzo and 19 points from Rossi.

Story courtesy of MotoGP News - MotoGP Le Mans: Dovizioso back on the podium, seeking ‘something’

Do Not Sell My Personal Information