1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Leak/condensation

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by MushHaze, Feb 13, 2017.

1. All,

A quick question, bike is in winter storage given the lovely weather and mucky road we get this time of year in west of Ireland. I take it out of shed and give it a start weekly. I have noticed a slight leak when I push it back in shed....right behind front wheel at v point in fairing, there is a few drops of what looks like water, odourless. Could it be condensation inside fairing or am I losing fluid from the coolant system or otherwise? Apologies for my inane question but perhaps ye can state obvious for me before I start taking fairings off....

Mike

2. hey
    Firstly, fairing off is a 2 minute job on these, i would have a look.
    Secondly, the general considered opinion is that unless you are going to ride the bike for a good 20 or 30+ minutes,don't start it.

3. hmmm i just did a google based on your "don't start it" comments. Seems I have bad habits and was badly advised many years ago! I have always run my bikes once a week over the years when in storage. Best left alone on a battery optimiser eh. Tis always plugged into the optimizer and covered.

Regarding the leak ill get the fairings off and run it for a bit once tis ready to go for summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I dip my finger in the liquid and then onto my tongue,, if its sweet then its coolant... Its safe, but not if its Roland using it as a urinal....:Arghh:

5. Take the battery off and keep it indoors. Cold kills them.

6. I'm having the exact same issue I'm taking the fairings off on sat to find out, I think it's coolant on mine as it's to slimey feeling if you get what I mean

7. Not slimy/coloured at all with mine. Gonna take of fairing and run it and see if the mystery is solved!

8. when I got my 748 home after having a full restoration, I had the same thing. Kept finding a small puddle under it. Thought it was coolant till I was out in the workshop one cool night and could actually seen moisture slowly bead up on the metal till it trickled down and gathered in the fairing befor dripping from the lowest point.

9. Condensation leads to corrosion, corrosion on all your fasteners, inside your tank and inside your engine.
    I have my bike inside a cocoon with a plastic membrane first, then fleece blankets for insulation. Inside the cocoon is a small dehumidifier. The garage may be cold and damp but the bike isn't.

10. DSC_1410.JPG DSC_1411.JPG Took fairings off tonight. Checked the coolant level and it is fine and it's that green sticky stuff. Deffo not that underneath. I reckon it is a bit of condensation. Tiny bit of coolant leaving rad at big hose.. See fairing mark but it's not dripping underneath. I'll clean it all and check it again after a few runs. Not too worried about it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. If its any help thats exactly where mine had a small leak - at the bottom hose on the rad it was sort of oval rather than round - Glenn at moto-V sorted it when i got it serviced.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Regarding condensation it leaves in a big concrete shed under a cover plugged into an optimizer. Othe
    Due service in July so I can get it double checked

13. Change in temperature causes condensation, warm air hitting a cold object. This time of year is the worst as nights are cold and days getting warmer and with the sun out the air in buildings warms faster than the metal motorcycle. Especially the tank filled with cold petrol.

Yesterday I had a halogen light on in the garage to see the (bastard) oil filter. Within 10 mins my front forks were soaking in condensation from the sudden warmth from the lamp.

• Like Like x 1
  14. My 749 lives with my 1098 and 1000ss in a cold garage. The 1098 drips. I had the same concerns but have come to the conclusion it's just condensation. It's worst when the temperature fluctuates and especially at this time of year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Someone posted on the forum that they clipped a 40w bulb under a cover. I bought a oxford indoor cover and a 40w bulb. Its on 24/7, and for the first time I have had no condensation on the bike for all the winter months.

16. It was me :smiley: do it every year run on a timer along with optimiser comes on at 6 am off at 12 noon every day never any condensation pence to run

#16 charlie0749, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information