1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Lifting 899 Subframe

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by MattM, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Hi chaps, just gone to fit my carbon exhaust guard, which on the 1199 is a 30 minute job, the subframe lifts easily giving you plenty of access to everything. On the 899 however the subframe appears to be fouling on the engine when I try and lift it. I've undone the bottom subframe bolts entirely and loosened the top ones. Do I need to fully remove the top bolts and lift out the subframe completely or does it pivot upwards and I'm just doing something wrong?

2. I ended up taking all 4 bolts out, removed the carbon rear hugger and lifted the tank.

3. [​IMG]

Same here :grinning:

#3 MattM, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  4. Job done Matt! Just watch the breather pipe at the right side of the tank. Mine poped off but luckily I noticed it.
    New headers??

5. I was caught out by those pipes with the 1199, I actually managed to break one. Won't be making the same mistake again.

Just putting on the ceramic coated and wrapped header I had on the 1199, nothing too exciting, plus the carbon ceramic heat shield too.

#5 MattM, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  6. My sheild is holding up perfectly. Ilmberger was Defo the way to go. I also foil taped under my seat and inside all the plastics. It's made quite a difference with the heat.

7. Glad to hear it, they're quite an investment but are great quality. I've got TeknoFibra heat tape under my seat, haven't done the plastics but to be honest the heat on the 899 isn't as bad as the 1199 I don't think so hopefully it'll be ok with the bits I've done.

8. Well that's put me off getting a carbon heat guard if you have to remove the tank and sub frame

9. It's not that bad a job really. If you are getting one then choose wisely. Most will burn and discolour.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Any recommendations?

11. Matt recommended me the ilmberger one. I can't fault it. It's not carbon tho, they call it carbon ceramic

12. It's not carbon in the traditional sense, it's got a carbon ceramic weave and underneath is coated in ceramic. So it's more a functional piece that helps with the heat rather than a piece of bling to look good with your other carbon bits. But it's pretty much the only heat shield guaranteed to not burn or blister - other than the standard ones, of course.

13. I wouldn't mind changing mine. Any decent photo's of it please, sunbeam?

14. Sunbeam???

15. Yeah.

Term of endearment. Although in just looking at the Urban Dictionary I see its meaning has moved along a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Many thanks. I hadn't realised that that was it installed in Matt's photo.

Did the jack / block give you enough clearance or did you have to do what Matt's done in his photos? Cheers.

17. The photo with the jack is to support the bike while I have the shock removed. To fit the heatsheild I just removed the 4 subframe bolts and lifted the subframe up out the way.

18. Ah, I see. I hadn't noticed it was off! Thanks.

19. Ohh Sh1t....I've just bought one of these, didn't realize it was such a fart on to change :Banghead:

First dumb question....eedjut's guide to lifting the tank? is it straightforward?? :rolleyes:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information