1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Lifting 899 Subframe

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by MattM, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Lifting the tank is straightforward,once the seat is removed you will expose the rear tank holding bracket,pretty obvious what bolts need undoing,remove key surround to reveal front tank holding allen key bolts,these just need to be cracked loose (some don't loosen these but i prefer to)then its just a case of lifting from the seat end removing earth wire and unplug fuel pump loom,support tank in the raised position and best cover up the air box to stop shit dropping in.On refitting just make sure the airbox rubber gasket is seated correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Thanks for that Simmytt, it'll probably be obvious once I get into it, also a bit more clued up since I downloaded the factory workshop manual from the excellent link that "imbloodyskintagain" posted up.

Just a bit concerned that I'll have to do it all over again once the carbon heat shield has burnt to a crisp, judging by some of the comments in this post! :rolleyes:

3. I didn't need to touch the front tank bolts. The tank just pivoted on them once the key guard was removed.

4. It really isn't as bad as it all looks. Definitely easier on the 1199 as the subframe pivots upwards and you don't need to remove all 4 bolts. Plus the lower subframe bolts are easier to get to on the 1199. The 899 was a little more of a challenge, but really not difficult. It'll take you 15 minutes to lift the tank and undo the subframe.

Which heat shield have you bought? I think some last better than others and also I'm under the impression that the 899 doesn't kill carbon heat shields as much as 1199's do! Here's how a 100% carbon heat shield that I fitted to my 1199 ended up looking after about 500 miles...

[​IMG]

And here is the lovely (albeit rather expensive) Ilmberger carbon ceramic one fitted to my 899...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm still considering getting a carbon heat shield, could somebody give me a detailed account on how to remove the rear subframe, cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Looks great :)

Hmmm, wanted one of these too and now I'm also thinking if I can be bothered. Might be the right time to fit the sprint filter I never fitted to the last bikes as it was such a faff. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information