1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Look What I've Gone And Done..

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Gimlet, Feb 1, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

This is your fault, @royalwithcream with your BMW thread. Now you've got me at it.
    Put down a deposit on this exact bike today. Collecting on Saturday. One of the last 2015 bikes in the country knocked down to £12,000. 2 grand off list price. Bargain.
    Its a replacement for my SMT. I love that bike dearly but this has more power and more orangeyness so what can you do. Bang goes my grand tour this year and eating for about the next two..

• Like Like x 17
  2. Haha awesome! I came so close to buying the second hand one that Premier Bikes have had for sale. You've got a cracking deal there. Hope you remembered to get the dongle thing :)

3. Yep. Got a dongle, and they're fitting a KTM tail tidy and black tank pads. Extras at this price but they did a discount on those too so still a bargain.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice....it looks seriously angry

5. They're barking mad. And once its got 3 or 4 thousand miles on it and loosened up and I've sold a kidney to recoup some cash, it'll be even madder. It'll get uncorked with an open airbox, a decat AR exhaust system and a remap. At least that's the plan. That's one good thing about buying new. Its no good modding and remapping a new engine. They're too tight. They need at least 3000 miles on them to settle in and loosen up. So I won't be champing at the bit to start playing with it with money I haven't got. I can relax and get to know the bike and build up some miles. There's no real design gremlins that need sorting out straight away and they're not exactly sluggish in standard trim...
    I'm sure it'll make a fine stablemate for the SF.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Well done gimlet, sticking with the ktm loveliness!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Going into Premier bikes today to buy and orange bike, unfortunately it's not one like yours but I need to replace the enduro bike I sold a few months ago so getting a EXC300.

8. I have a lot of love for the SDR, came very close to one but was pipped by the Tuono. Two super-nakeds then. Will you not miss the diversity?

Edit for typos. This site, so bloated now it even kills text entry.

9. Nice one Gimlet, now I realise I followed you into AMS yesterday. I also really fancy an SDR having had 2 previous incarnations. Don't want to sell my PP though. I'll keep saving...

10. I've heard that bike with an AR system on it.....Loud !! :upyeah:

11. I thought that till I rode one. One of the things that struck me about the SDR ridden next to the SF was how unsportsbike-like the KTM is. It felt to me closer in spirit to a supermoto than a sports bike. Which isn't that surprising as the SF is a stripped down sports bike and the SDR is a from the ground up purpose built supernaked, designed by a company with an off-road/supermoto pedigree.
    I wouldn't have swapped the SF for one because I didn't want to lose the more focused feel of the Ducati. Because they're categorised as similar bikes it didn't occur to me to think of the SDR as a companion bike instead of a replacement for the SF. Other than the absence of a screen I think the two bikes are going to feel very different and I think, having owned the SMT, that I'm not sure I don't prefer the more planted stability of a roadster over an upright bike. A few times I've felt faintly seasick after riding uprights, including the SMT, and I don't get seasick on boats...
    The difference in engine character is still there. The 1290 engine is clearly out of the same stable as the 990, just more of it. And its that contrast which makes a Ducati and a KTM work so well together in the same garage.
    I'm sure it'll be fine.
    I keep telling myself....

#11 Gimlet, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  12. These things are bonkers!

Enjoy mate, I'm sure you will.

13. Very nice bike. I saw one of these outside a pub in Cambridgeshire a few months ago.
    Somehow the design looked so clean. It might sound weird but there were no bits cluttering it up.
    No wiring system visible. Just an engine, frame, wheels seat and bars.

Got to say I was very taken with it and so was the guy who'd just bought it.

Sounded great too.

Looks a fun tool. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

14. I always wanted a 990 SDR, the last twin seat model, still might when the times right. The 1290 looks amazing and that's a crackin deal. Congrats.

15. Friend of mine has one, must be about 9 months old now. He loves it and apart from a weeping tank which they replaced under warranty it has been faultless (the leak stained the tank paint). He went with the official Akra can and it's real nice sounding without being offensively loud.

He did say traction control is a must in the wet unless you have very quick reactions and having seen how much grunt they have I believe him. He is also not a huge fan of our local dealer but that is not the bikes fault.

16. That is such a good looking bike:upyeah:

17. McWilliams goes well on his

image.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Great machine.
    I was torn between this and the DVT multi - in the end I went with my head (multistrada) but I'm always tempted to have an affair of the heart :wink:

19. I've always thought that if Kryten rode a motorbike, it would be a KTM.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information