1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M600 Engine Rattle?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by venners, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Hi all I've bought a Monster 600 In great condition although it has a horendous rattle noise like someone inside the engine with a little hammer going tap tap tap?
    I've read that it could be piston slap but it sounds more tinny than slap has anyone got any ideas?

2. Maybe the big but has come off. It's wet clutch so can't be that ;)

They do sound a bit like s tractor naturally tho

3. Thanks bradders it sounds like a vavle or maybe tappets it seems to run ok though. I have heard that they are noisey runners but this sounds wrong to me but then again I'm new to Ducs so maybe it's normal!

4. I had a 600 monster with a rattle that sounded as you describe it was piston slap

5. It could be a case of 'they all do that sir' if you're new to the wonderful world of ducati...

Having said that though, take a ride to your nearest dealer of indie and let them have a listen for you... That will either confirm there is something requiring attention or put your mind at ease.

6. Thanks Ben that is of course a good idea however my 'local' dealer is about 80 miles away to make that trip I need to trust the bike and as of now I don't but thats because I'm new to it.

7. In that's case then, it may be worth trying to track down another owner quite local to you that could maybe have a listen for you. I'm sure there will be someone on here willing to help :)

Another option is post a video and put a link to it on here and some more familiar with the M600 may be able to help further.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You could try videoing it and sharing? Someone who knows their stuff may be able to give an opinion:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Another good idea Ben I'll go and record it now!

10. I can't post the noise the website doesn't recognise the file extension :triumph:

11. Can you load a video to YouTube or even Facebook then you can copy link?

12. Thanks bradders will do

13. Youtube video

14. It's hard to say from that video,but it dosent sound terminal, get yourself a mechanics stethoscope(cheap on evilbay)and listen to the two cylinders,are they the same,listen to the inlet manifold tracts and exhaust headers,are they balanced,do a compression test to check both cylinders are the same +/- a few psi
    It would be rare for both cylinders to have the same sound if there is a problem,IE: the bad one would be very easy to hear!

15. I must admit the video doesn't give the best sound of it, it is intermittent but I could hear it during the filming it is definitely coming from the horizontal cylinder.

16. Does the sound alter when you pull the clutch in?

17. I must admit I haven't tried th

18. The "early" pre 98 600’s, had forged pistons that make the horrible slappy noise when cold, not that it gets much better when they warm up. Sounds like the insides are trying to get out, most will tell you "they’re all like that", mostly it will be the front cylinder
    If you pull it apart, chances are there will be nothing wrong with it. Just very short pistons, it can be almost cured by replacing the piston on that cylinder with the cast piston from a later model ( which supercede from the early ones anyway ) but eventually it will return

19. Doesn't sound horrendous at all! Sounds from the vid that the valve clearances need adjusting first. Till that's done I really wouldn't start pulling the engine to bits unnecessarily.

If you've not had a Duke before then you should know that they are inherently noisier than any Jap bike. It's just how they are.

#19 Samurai, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  20. Thanks Kato
    Thanks Samurai I was aware that are noisy however I was shocked slightly by how much. I'll take your advice and have a look at the valve adjustment.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information