1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M7rr Or Should I Try The New S21, Or Diablo Rosso Iii

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Dr.D, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Hi Andyt749,
    Yeah, I agree, this sport touring debate was for mcjohn3, my 998 has s20 evo on.... Albeit great tyres I am going to give them to my dad for his old school 1200 bandit and put drc on it. But this debate was for my blade, I do more track days than anything else, infact first of the year on Tuesday.... And looks like I am stuck on these bloody qualifier II's!!!! But still think drc, supercorsa etc etc are too extreme for my wet day, dry day,track day, ride out with mates blade use.... Hence s21's..... I haven't bought the m7rr are great reviews as I think the carcass will feel soft after dunlops, Bridgestone and £200 odd quid per pair is a lot to loose if I dislike them. Saying that 2000 miles, 4 track days on shitty Dunlop qualifier II's and still having fun!

2. Hopefully this second page load mcjohn.... You owe me pint.... Try uploading of a) a iPad b) McNair ridiculous app!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Does this work!

image.png

4. Done! There you go

5. By the way predictive text Mc Nair = MCN

6. I have a 2k old front coming off mine soon that is in great condition if you want it

7. I pretty much hated the Q2's on my old Daytona and went for the Metzeler M5 and loved them, the M7RR is a step up from those so I think that if you can have fun on the Q2 then you won't regret a pair of M7's, i'm thinking about a pair on the Multi when these PR4's are done.

8. Thank you so much

9. This and yesterday's ride has pretty much made my mind up.
    I put M7rr's on my Pani and loved them. I could feel the difference instantly.
    Quicker turn in, confidence, you name it. I recommended them to Cupidstunt on here AKA Vince and he's busy putting them on all his bikes by the look of it. I'm due for a new set on the Pani and have never been in any doubt, it's the M7's.

I was therefore bordering on putting them on my ST4. I have to say I really have been unhappy with the Michelin Road Pilot 3's. I've pumped them up down n sideways. Higher pressure feels better but they take time to warm up. I've spent the last few days sliding around on them. Skit here skit there. Plenty of counter steer when warming up. Rubbish at 20-30-40mph bends but definitely much happier at high speed bends, we've done lots of both in the last few days. So they're in the bin as soon as I get back even though there's life in them.

Yesterday I watched my brother on his BMW K1300 with Conti Attacks. We weren't wringing every last ounce out of it but we were getting on with things. That bike, with those tyres we're imperious. We went on my favourite road in the world. 100km of absolutely empty silky smooth Tarmac, bend into bend into bend. No traffic, empty. Fab-u-lous. I had to work the old ST4 but he was effortless. I thought, right Conti's. I'll ride his for a bit today and Conti's for the ST4. Last time I rode his K1300 it felt like it was on rails.

These articles have changed my mind though. I'm so happy with the Metzlers I'm going to try the new 01's on the ST4, unless you have any better suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sportsmart 2?

11. What about the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's, next one up to the new Pirelli Diablo 111's ???

12. Rosso Corsa buddy

I always change them in pairs but the front has got loads left in it!!

Far too good to chuck away !

13. I've got Sportsmart IIs on my 1290SDR. I prefer the M7RRs I've got on the Streetfighter. The Metzelers warm much faster and offer more feedback and inspire more confidence. The Dunlops are not bad tyres by any means. They're very good but the Metzelers just feel better. I know exactly what MCN mean when they say the M7s feel like they got a huge contact patch when leant over hard. They do and you really notice this feeling of security when the road surface isn't great. I prefer the way the Metzeler rear turns in as well. Its quick but progressive. There doesn't feel like there's a shoulder you have to fall off to get the tyre over, on the Dunlops there is.

Haven't tried the 01s yet. Though I prefer Metzeler over Dunlops when it comes to sports tyres, I use Dunlop Roadsmart IIs on my SMT. (Haven't tried IIIs). I tried Z8s and they caused terrible instability problems. They made the front end very waggy. If I let go of the bars above 80 mph it was into a tank slapper. Tried every possible remedy and suspension adjustment to iron it out but I couldn't. The moment I changed to Roadsmarts there was instant calm, smoothness, stability and grip. I also found the Z8 carcase quite stiff with a harsher ride.
    It could be that the Z8s don't suit long travel suspension, (or stiff suspension). I had them on a Speed Triple and really liked them (though the harsher ride was apparent there as well). But much as I like the M7s I'm very wary of trying 01s on the SMT in case I get a repeat of the Z8 experience so for sports touring I'm sticking to Roadsmarts. It is true they are slow warmers though. They need ten miles under their belt before you can push them. Not an issue for me but it might be for commuters. Once warm they're lovely though. And they hold heat well.

14. Hi Sam1199
    Personally I have always rec Michelin rd4 or Pirelli angel Gt to anyone wanting the best of everything, grip, feel, keeping bike nimble & mileage, all the manufacturers are all striving to give all the above to a wide section of customers, they really have succeeded to date, Metz z8 was a fantastic tyre but technology moved on, The new Z01 was made to be the best tyre in the current market for all weathers especially wet weather as more & more people are turning to bikes for cheaper running costs, Metzler have directly aimed this tyre to steel RD4 riders, they best selling tyre for 2014/15, it been a long time coming so there R&D must have been a huge cost, I WOULD HAVE NO HESITATION FITTING METZELER Z01 TO ANY SPORTS TOURER ÄND I STRONGLY BELEIVE THEY WOULDNT RELEASE THE TYRE UNTIL IT COULD OUTPERFORME ITS MARKET COMPETITORS, I WOULD ALSO SAY THAT IF THE DO THE SAME AS THEY DID FOR M7RR IT'LL FALL CLOSE TO RD4 PRICING, Let me know how you get on, hopefully my back will be Better soon and i'll be able to test them!
    Here's another deciding factor for you:
    Metz 880 marathon -got best in range, Harley, Vn's, Tri Rockets etc
    Metz Racetec RR - most supercorsa riders felt it was easily as good in the dry, better In the wet and arguable but better front feel when pushing in a turn,
    Metz M7RR- most positively reviewed supersport/Hypersport tyre
    Z01- I reckon will be voted best sportstourer by Motorad, Which, and MCN, 2016/17

put it all together and it all paints a picture for the brand

Get um on Sam!

15. Hi, just about to change for my Monster 1200s.
    Was going to stay with Diablo 11, but M7 RR seems a good option looking at the reviews. Any 1200s riders got them fitted?

16. Thanks Andy, great info, you d man for tyre info.
    Glad I posted the question. I'll go with the Metzelers.

I had a go on the K1300r with the Conti's on. I put a posting up on my old thread:

Sam1199's Story - "just Popping Out On My Bike" - Something We'd All Love To Do!

17. Hi mrH
    You have Diablo ROSSO 2's, what did you like and dislike what you got from them, feel, mileage, grip, handling?
    M7rr are as you said a fantastic tyre for the right bike, in general in my opinion the 1200s monster is a bike for people coming away from superbike but still want the grunt pull and close to the handling with moving to more upright riding like an ZX10-SX or BMW s1000r, I believe the tuck position on this bike is difficult as it is uncomfortable to get your toes on the pegs for any amount of time,
    I would say the M7RR is too aggressive for your bike regardless of your ability or hooliganism!, your pegs and toes would hit the tarmac before you are at full lean on the tyre, due to the rear tyre being a 190/55 profile I would recommend Pirelli Angel GT, wet & dry grip hardly any noticeable difference, quick turn for sports touring because of rear tyre profile, more mileage, quick warm up, roadsmart 3 would also be a good choice but turn in would be slightly slower,
    I have seen a professional rider on test with the Angels and he done a hand touchdown on a BMW 1000r, I couldn't believe it myself, you would not be disappointed in grip level or handling,
    I'm not disrespecting you at all but for what the M7RR can deliver your bike can't take advantage of, you would be buying them for the quicker change in direction, that's it, although the rosso 2' look very "v" shape in profile on the shelf they are nowhere near as quick turning as M7's, for me I'm sure you would be more than happy on Angel GT's unless of the above turn in speed is what your after,

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Thanks for the reply. Going for the new Rosso 111s now. I think with the improvements they are similar to the Metz anyway now. I'll post an update.

19. Hi guys

Just thought I would add my 2p worth as fitted M7RRs last week and am really pleased as they keep my Pani feeling so planted. Loads of grip from cold and gives confidence if I do get caught in the rain. Paid around £250 fitted to the loose wheels, which I didn't think was bad? Q3's have also been mentioned, but I don't see me doing many track days this year

20. And how about those rosso 3?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information