1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main Bearings

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by sharksqb16, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Any one no the Dim sizes of main bearings in crankcase for 600ss, mine are German but the Dim sizes are not that clear, i would like to get new ones, anybody no roughly what ducati charge , probably cheaper to go to a bearing suppler. Also anyone no of any company's that can strip frame back to metal as mine is black paint over a yellow type plastic coat, bit of a sod to get off. i'm in W Sussex. Thanks for looking

2. the best way I found with my 900 was to use the Stein Dinse website to get the Ducati part numbers:
    Stein-Dinse GmbH Ersatzteillisten
    (Click on the numbers to show each part number)

Then Google the Ducati part number and several sites show the sizes.
    The images on the Stein Dinse site do also sometimes show the bearing manufacturer part numbers if the image has been taken of the right side.

Beware however as on my 900 the main bearings are a bit of a special size and type, being preloaded, so they are available from Bearing traders, but at the same cost as from Ducati.

Nasher.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. I rebuilt my 900 last year and the bearings were only available from Ducati themselves or Ducati parts suppliers. They are not cheap, about 75gbp each. I managed to stumble across one on ebay for 50 new old stock to save a little. They are different sizes on each side. I did not see them anywhere else. I am sure that the 600 I broke recently had the same bearings as the 900, in fact they use them in many different models.

Right is 7307X2TB now 7307X2ETN RHP
    BRAND
    Left is 7207X2ETN

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Well I stand corrected, I had a hell of a time trying to find them

5. Thank you all for info great help.

6. P4170003.JPG P4170004.JPG P4170001.JPG P4170002.JPG Frame finally stripped, what a pain. used different types of paint stripper,s black paint just fell off, yellow plastic coating just turned to liquid and went hard came off with sanding disc. Then a mate told me a body workshop trick, paint the stripper on cover with paper and leave for an hour, when i came back the plastic coating was soft and just peeled off with scraper, rubbed down by hand, Put a couple of coats of primer on to protect the frame, going to give it to a mate to paint.

P4170001.JPG

7. sorry meant to put previous info in my project 600ss thread

8. Its looking good!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Just found these two sites on internet, for bearings.
    Wych Bearings Limited - Buy Online, Bearing Supplier, Housed Bearings, oil Seals, Adhesives, Lubricants, Roller Chain and Engineering Supplies - WychBearings.co.uk
    Simply Bearings Ltd ~ Oil Seals SKF FAG TIMKEN KOYO NTN NKE TRULOC Needle Rollers Taper Rollers Rod Ends Oil Filled Bushes Loose Balls O Rings Grease Plain Thrust
    When putting full part number in the bearings are not recognised but if i put just first four digits in or dim size,s different bearings come up with varying prices, now some of the type of bearings that do come up are not correct other are. prices range from £20 to £80. can some one with better knowledge of bearings have quick look and may be give advise which type is the correct type as the descriptions are the same for many. If I can get a bearing for £30 rather than £80 doing the same job i would rather pay less. I no it could be false economy and i no paying threw the nose is not always correct, and the price i was quoted from my local ducati dealer a bit of a joke.

10. My post above has the correct part numbers. The main bearings are unfortunately gonna cost you at least 50 quid each, thats just the way it is as theres limited choice of suppliers. Dont get something you think might fit, the main bearings are side loaded and if you get the wrong bearing you could end up with the bearing being not fit for purpose, I believe in skimping on some things but when it comes to the most imprtant bearings on your bike, just buy the proper ones

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Also make sure you fit them the correct way around on each side, otherwise the preload will be onto the smaller area and they won't last very long.

Nasher

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. The bearings are designed to be put in one way only as Nasher says, the preload pushes the ball bearings into outer shell, which is curved on that side only. If the bearings are put in the wrong way, then the whole bearing will come apart or at the very least start chewing itself to bits against the case insert.

13. As you can see it's easy to work out which way around they go.

Put them in so the more open face is towards the inside of the cases, that way the balls are being pushed against the correct(Wider) running surface.

Nasher

B-10-7207X2ETN-RHP-EN.jpg A-10-7207X2ETN-RHP-EN.jpg As you

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Thanks for your comments and info. I understand and no about fitting bearing the correct way, thrust,radial movement etc, it just narcs me when ducati quote nearly £200 for a pair of bearings. I don't mind paying but don't like being ripped off. I no these two company have budget to top of the range bearings and having emailed them see what they come up with. But then i am in two mind's as the bearings in the case are fine no bluing, notching, they run smooth they are in good order, just that i have the case's apart do i change them or put the engine back together after checking every thing out. I no it's down to me, it could go bang or just be fine. I'll wait and see what these firms come up with, least the frame off at the painters being done. once again thanks for comments.

15. If you are happy with the bearings then dont change them, depends on mileage and whether you want to keep the bike etc... Remember the preload is different for used bearings.
    You cab definately get the bearings for less than 200 quid, I paid about 120 for both of mine.
    The cost of the overhaul on my 900SS has cost me a significant amount of money, I guess as its a keeper I dont mind so much. These bearings are the most expensive and I wasnt going to skimp whilst the engine was apart, however I have another 900 engine I am going to build at some point and for that one I will reuse the main bearings due to the cost.

16. Yes 100% with you. Got no history of engine, it was just a mess out side,every thing is sound mechanical, normally I just do what ever needs doing, having built many different types of engine in the past, probably being just a pratt about this one. Then motorbike parts always have been over priced compared to the car industry, that's another topic. Once again thanks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information