1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Mcn Shootout!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Brakes508, May 4, 2016.

1. Intesesting read in MCN this week of "The Real Deal" Adventure Sports Shootout! 3 page spread of ride through the Alps with a somewhat predicted outcome!!! S1000XR Sport SE, KTM 1290 Super Juke GT and Mutley 1200S. Guess what comes last? would like a blast on the KTM as seems to have good reports but I think 3rd is an injustice to Mutley given what they say in the review! Still can't get the specs right with a X in the heated grip box but talks about a long stretch to the button in the review!! A quick shifter would be a "nice to have" but no deal breader for me! Liked the reference to the Mutley as "The posh Range Rover" of the bunch!!! BMW 1st KTM 2nd Mutley 3rd what do you folks think? Right outcome?

2. not ridden any of them myself but i have read the seemingly endless list of complaints and faults on here, which kind of put you off a bit

3. Not bothered what mcn say. It's a premium top tier bike at the end of the day which by defination means its near the top of rankings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'll be interested to read that
    I bloody love my Dvt, it's just awesome!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Red899, don't take things our of context. Most manufacturers have various issues it's more about how a dealer handles them I'd say. Whilst there can be niggles (mine is mostly fine bar neutral light) it's a fantastic bike. For every issue on here there are plenty bikes running trouble free! The feeling is most people would buy again and in my humble opinion it's every bike you will ever need or want!

• Like Like x 3
  6. The BMW is crap. It's a bag of nails.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Insightful and unbiased journalism at it's best ;)

• Funny Funny x 2

8. good to hear mate :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Before I bought my 1200S DVT I rode the BMW and discounted it immediately because of the handlebar vibes. I had read about them as they have been discussed at length by many, but had to see for myself. I just couldn't consider owning it as it would hack me off no end, having previously lived with a Versys 1000 which literally destroyed parts of itself due to vibration. I tried one hoping that the reports were exaggerated, but my own experience showed that the reports were if anything conservative. It was horrendous.

I saw the KTM at the NEC bike show but it wasn't to become available until April which would have meant waiting a couple of months for a bike which may or may not have been worth waiting for. I test rode the Multi and couldn't find fault. So far I've only had a rattling screen which has been fixed very easily and an engine warning light which had no effect on the bike whatsoever and the dealer said it would clear itself - which it did. 3000 miles since Feb and I cannot complain. The wife loves it too and says it's more comfortable than the FJR1300 I had a while back. I would like a smoother low-end drive like from a 4-cylinder, but the only bikes with that in this category seem to have worse vibrations than a twin. Go figure.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Harsh! lol actually an OK bike but I thought the buzz through the handbars wasn't great for me anyway, Mutley the best all rounder I'd say!"

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MCN and all other publications would put Royal Enfield top of a shootout if they were buying more advertising page space than the rest of them. Like my dear old gran used to say "never trust anyone, especially some bastard that lips move, they're lying".

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Well, I'm busy test riding at the moment: MV Turismo Veloce so far, Monster 1200R, DVT, DVT Enduro & xDiavel this weekend, then on to the BMWs next week… …can't find a demonstrator 1290GT anywhere, so going to ride the Super Duke R to get the feel. I actually bought MCN for the first time in ages to read this test, and rather wish I hadn't bothered: MCN's level of detail and journalism really is pretty damn poor. At least it reminded me why I stopped buying it several years ago…

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. That's a lotta test rides!!! are you doing the Ducati open weekend at Tyndrum by any chance??? Very diverse amount of Ducs!" Don't think there are any KTM GT demos from what I'm hearing but that little lot should keep you going!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Yep - going up Saturday morning to The Green Welly. Drysdales have a Super Duke demo and Dalkeith are just putting a R1200RS demonstrator on the road :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Result!!! Snap! Do you by chance write a blog I subscribe to? lol I'm going up Saturday as well got the Diavel booked out for a 1pm demo ride! BMW not my thing looked at them as dealer not far from me, maybe get a catch up and cuppa at Green Welly Saturday!!

16. If it's ducati.info then, yes, that's me :) I'll be there from about 9am (urgh) Saturday - beardie bloke with black 10-reg 1200S and waving camera gear…

• Like Like x 1
  17. It's the right outcome for me :)

But either way, I'm sure everyone on a ducati forum will disagree, rightly so.

The chaps on the XR forum are all very happy so it's horses for courses

• Like Like x 2
  18. Will keep an eye out and give you a shout should pitch up about 12.30 to do paperwork for 1pm demo so hopefully catch a chat!!

19. Very true mate! It's a nice bike don't get me wrong and I traded my ZZR1200 in for the Mutley so kinda done the in line 4 thing to death for last 30 odd years the Mutley is a very nice place to be!!

20. Met up with a fellow multi owner tonight. We both have an eye on the XR. I'm in a love/hate relationship with my multi. Love, love, love it when it works but it is falling apart and I'm constantly having to fix something. If some swiftly cured vibrations are all people can complain about, then they've built a good bike. People also say they're hideous; have they seen a multi though? Neither are lookers but it's the fact we can tour and tear it up that we love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information