1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metropolis Ducati, North London's newest Ducati dealership

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by mattmccabebrown, Jan 29, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

After opening in 1987 and subsequently spending the best part of 25 years under the Honda banner, the Barnet branch of Metropolis Motorcycles officially became a Ducati dealer at the very start of 2013. The sign outside may be temporary, but the change is permanent. At the end of 2012 Metropolis were able to acquire the lease on the carpet shop next door, doubling their available showroom space. In a wise move the main, and original show room, has been converted into a bespoke Ducati sales area, leaving the new space free for other brands, which includes the new Yamaha light weight range of scooters and sub 500cc machines, which are also a new addition to the branch.

There is no getting away from it, this dealership is small, but this is where its strength lies. With only two full time employers permanently based in Barnet, Mike Phipps the Sales Manager and Artur Wieleba the chief technician, the customers are almost guaranteed a unique personal level of service.
    [​IMG]

Artur, who, after working on friends bikes for years, became a professional mechanic in 1998, emigrated from Lublin in Poland in 2005. The big Pole has amassed a broad and detailed knowledge of bikes from a range of manufactures after working for several different dealerships. Already qualified as a Silver Honda Diagnostics Technician he has been to Italy numerous times to ensure there are no gaps in his Ducati knowledge and when asked he told me his aim was to achieve the accolade of Master Technician.

Bringing nearly 17 years experience with him, Mike cemented his knowledge and reputation working for several dealerships across Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire before coming to Barnet in 2007. It was he who has been instrumental in driving the change of brand from Honda to Ducati. Fearing he was in danger of losing his passion for a role in which he excels, Mike has been campaigning since 2010 to have Ducati branded over the letterhead. In early 2012, in an interesting twist of fate, Honda made it known that they were very keen on increasing their Central London presence which subsequently coincided with Ducati wanting to fill a gap that was increasingly widening after problems with a previous Hertfordshire dealer. Originally, the plan was to set up a new showroom in or around Stevenage in central Hertfordshire, but ultimately Metropolis were able to swap marques between their Vauxhall and their Barnet branches, fulfilling the desires of both the Japanese firm and their Italian rivals.

[​IMG]

So apart from the unique personal experience, what can Metropolis Ducati offer the Ducatisti? Well pretty much anything you need. Over the next few months the dealership will be increasing the amount of official parts they hold on site, which will include a range of Ducati apparel and the additional of premium products from Rizoma and Metal Tech Racing, who used to supply parts to Troy Bayliss. If they don’t have a particular bolt or bracket in stock, the well established supply chain means they can have it for you in a couple of days. Want some advice, a test ride, or a particular brand of tyres? No problem.

The great thing with the Barnet branch is they enjoy what they’re doing and this happiness gets passed straight onto the customer. Metropolis was the first place I walked into when I was thinking about learning to ride and it’s a testament that I still go back time and time again. Sometimes it’s for parts or a service but sometimes it’s just for a chat. Whenever I walk through the doors, I know that I am going to be treated as a valued customer and that I can trust what either Mike or Artur tell me. The pairing of such an iconic brand and the customer focussed work ethic that these guys provide, really is a no brainer.

#1 mattmccabebrown, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Great article writeup, thanks Matt.

3. nice one Matt. i think i met you in there once. I have bought all my bikes from mike for the past 15yrs or so and have always had a good service provided to me and have know artur for about 5yrs now and trust him completly with my bikes, he treats them like his own, never any damage always spot on. overall a great place to go, even if its only a chin wag.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice to see a bike shop opening rather than closing. Went past Steve Jordan's the other day, and he now appears to be a car dealer:frown:

5. Steve Jordans down in Leatherhead? Wow, not the greatest showroom, but great for suspension set us :upyeah:

6. My brother got his 1098S set up there, and they tuned his DRZ to within an inch of it's life...Christ that was quick! I didn't stop, so I don't know the state of play, but there were no bikes on the forecourt, just cars, and the shop sign was still the same.

7. well just a couple of miles up the road from me,but after dealings with the problem dealership in herts,which cost me alot of money to rectify i have no faith in authorised dealers,will still prefer to travel afar to baines or proteam(who collect).

8. Are you still going to be able to get Ducati parts at Vauxhall? I live in Tulse Hill and Barnet's no use to me! Otherwise might have to give Inmoto in Croydon a go...

9. I think the Jordans are still doing bike sales and servicing, they're just not a franchised dealer any more.

10. Yep you'll still be able to get the same service that you would expect at the Vauxhall branch :tongue:

You should give them a try, especially if they are so close. Not every dealer is as bad as RD :smile:

11. Well I've got some parts ordered in Vauxhall!

12. Great news. In fact I called them on an off chance yesterday to see if I could get a Multistrada test ride (2012 model), and they called me back today telling that they are getting the exact model I want to try in for me for Sat (if I want)....

I have used the Vauxhall Metropolis, and just not keen on them - you feel like a stranger there. Plus I live in N-London, so Barnet is awesome

Good news all round :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. yes they are still going as they just serviced my 1098. Just no longer selling bikes. Gone independant now after too many poor experiences with local to me ducati dealers.

14. I bought my current Multi form Mike and would have no quarms about buying another from him. He gave me a very fair price on the Gixer and the service I have received form him and his mechanic has been nothing short of stunning.

As for Steve Jordan, still in the same place just around the back. Again, he is another fine example of great workmanship. I plan on seeing him in 2014 for work and may even pop up at some of his and his wife Sarah's race meetings.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information