1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metzler Roadtec 01 - Review

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by messes, Apr 24, 2016.

1. I know there's probably at least one other tester on this forum, so it will be interesting to hear what they think too. When I came along to replacing my PR4’s earlier this year, it happened to coincide with an offer to test a pair of Metzler Roadtec 01 in return for an honest review. I’ve been a bit of a tyre snob in the past and have rarely ventured from the Pilot Road series as such there was only the Angel GT’s that I also liked.

Still I needed new tyres and decided to take a punt on what I assumed was a mid-range brand. I didn’t expect to like them (I hated the last set of Bridgestones I tried), but I was wrong. So far the Metzler 01’s has proved every bit the equal to the previous tyres I have on my Multistrada 1200.

I’m a thousand miles into this set of tyres now and I’ve been really pleased. Their quick steering profile took a little getting used to but from the beginning in the cold and wet of February they’ve felt well attached to the road. After running them in I’ve felt totally secure in pushing the lean angles and testing them under acceleration and breaking. I’ve got confidence in the grip, they lean over and hold the line I want round the corners, and have made their way through all the crap in the road without collecting a puncture (touch wood).

Next up will be some touring, then hopefully some warm weather running :smile: and of course to see how much mileage I can get out of a set. If all of this goes well and if the prices work out at the time to buy then these will go on my shortlist.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Any chance of an update on this thread please?

I'm a few hundred miles from needing a new set on my ST4S and so far have short listed the 01 and the MEZ08.

Currently running the T30s fitted a few thousand before I bought the bike. I've only done 2.5k so maybe 4ish on them and the rear has around 2mm left. Nice enough tyres but, I think, a little slow steering.

3. I have a set on my dvt - did 3000km to Croatia though wet and dry alps and they've been great ! On previous multis I have had PR3 and PR4 and these boots are iMO closer to the PR3 - very quick warm up and excellent grip.
    Now at 6000km and rear starting to wear a bit but some life left.
    I recommend you try them

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sure, I'm up to almost 7000 miles on that pair and I've still got around 3mm left in the center, I'm not certain they'll manage the whole of the 2500 mile trip I've got planned so they will be replaced a little earlier than wear would indicate. I reckon another 1000 - 1500 depending on conditions. They've squared off a little but that's to be expected given I do a fair amount of motorway miles but they don't seem to cup as much on the front as the PR4's.
    I've not found the 01's to lack any grip and I've got right to the edges on both something I was never quite able to achieve on the PR4's but could repeat on the AngelGT's. I've been running them since February and the grip has been consistent throughout the cold and warm weather.

I've been really pleased with them and will definitely be getting another pair in the future, for now I'm going back to the Angel GT's as I had a spare front in the garage and got a good deal on a rear.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. So far I've ridden several thousand kilometres on these tires.
    I ride a 2003 ST4S with fresh shock (Ohlins) and forks reworked with 5 wt oil. The bike is mint and set up for sag and rebound/damping set for my style of riding; which is smooth going into corners fast but trail braking mid corner fast out. The rear tire is a 180/55/17 HWM. The feel from the tire is interesting. At 37 pounds I can feel the tire squish? It has the feel of an under inflated track tire, and I don't know how you achieved that on a 2 ply tire. Once you get rolling that feeling turns into a gyroscope effect; like you are riding on the rear tire alone. The front is planted but the back is steering? The tire also works well with my suspension. Like it's the right rolling weight on my Ducati ST4S. To me it feels as if the tires adhesion to the road is more grab going forward and less against the workings of the Ohlins in back. The whole of it means I can pick a line tuck and come into the throttle without thinking about it. Very nice. I will buy these again. Best tire I've ever ridden on. I rode a bit of wet road too, and the same as above with no squirming from the back end. This bike will break away/wheelie in first and second without clutch; so that says a lot.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information