1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Pilot Road 4

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Rapide, Dec 28, 2016.

1. PR4s have been my recent tyre of choice for all weather commuting duties. Any reason not to fit them to my 848? (Other than they're ugly)

I will store the current Supercorsa's for the week of summer ;)

2. Ride on what you know and are comfortable with, doesn't matter what they look like. Andy

3. Nope. Mate used them on his 1098 including Trackdays

4. Good stuff, thanks. Not sure I'd use them on a trackday, correct tyres for correct circumstance is my thinking. Dispite the fact I'm sure the majority of riders couldn't outride a PR4, myself included. I fitted Racetecs on my last trackday and think they're pretty much the same as my current Supercorsas. Not sure I'll ever track the 848 though, I know it's built for it, but it's also too pretty to risk falling off :)

5. Mines a multi not an 848, but I ran these and did hot/cold/wet rides, couple of Trackdays, they were good enough for me to sit at 90mph most of the way from the Chunnel to Portsmouth in torrential rain and standing water. On hot days (or warm travkdays) they move around quite a bit as they are so heavily cut.

6. They're very good tyres

Bit prone to punctures but otherwise superb.

And as said above, for most riders they're more than enough.

Ultimately always a trade off and they won't perform like a track focussed tyre.. BUT still very very good especially for this time of year. Plus they'll probably outlive the bike!

7. I got over 8,000 miles out of a PR3 rear on a 1098S. I ran a Pilot Power 2CT on the front and they made a great combo for the street.

8. Fantastic first hand responses, thanks. 8,000 miles will do nicely.

9. Different tyre but I've been on T30's for a while. They're less ugly! Took a while to get used to the tyre profile. Can't compare for you though obviously as I've not used the Pr4.

10. My father in law has done over 9k on his pr4's on a fireblade which has included touring and a handful of trackdays

Ridiculous !

• Like Like x 1
  11. Got 5k from a rear and 9k from a front

12. Thread moved

13. Tried Metzler Roadtech 01s as the replacement for the Pirelli Scorpions that came with my bike. The Scorpions only lasted 2500 miles, quite possibly my riding style, I usually wear out the front tyre first for some reason.

I have run with Michelin PR3s and more recently PR4s on my previous bike and absolutely loved them. Tended to replace at around 5000 miles ahead of my annual tour with probably another 2000 miles possibly remaining. Having, in the past, had to limp home from Europe with a bald front twice in the I prefer to set off to the continent on fresh rubber front and rear. The Scorpions really caught me out last year...

Wish I'd gone with the PR4s again rather than the Metzlers now. Assumed that the newer design would have leapfrogged the older Michelin. Roadtech 01 is not a bad tyre, just not as good as the PR4 IMHO.

My 996 riding touring buddy uses PR4s, very happy with them.

14. I say it and I say it again... I'm lucky to get 3k out of anything.... Hyper has got pr2's on it and has done 1500 miles on this set and are half worn... Do people go beyond the wear limiters or something? (I change mine when I hit the limiters)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Do you commute to work on the Nurburgring or something ? :tearsofjoy:

Is it the centre of the edges that are going on yours?

I had a set of pr3's on my 600rr and I absolutely flogged that cbr to death and they still looked pristine after 5k..

16. Yeah I do commute but not at mach speeds..... As a guide I get about 2k out of a set of supercorsas on the rsv4.... Although my current set have gone to about 2.3k since I've had the suspension done.... Just about to hit the limiters on those...

17. I can understand running superbastards, but not sports touring rubber..

After 1500 miles on my Rosso corsas my rear is totally shagged

18. M7rr's on the zed lasted 3k (and they were shit as well)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

19. I won't be able to give any sort of guide for the moment as I'm going through part worns atm... Got an old corsa on the back of the zed which is my most used at the moment... Having said that the m7rr is still on the front with a bit left.... Seeing as you can't go stupid in the winter as a general rule I'm going through all my spare stuff...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

20. Stop bring a cheapskate and stick some new PR4 on there Comfy ;)

I would wear an SC out in under 1500 miles on my 848. Nothing ever lasted more than 2200.

Scorpions on multi lasted c3k before rear is dead. Problem with all Pirelli is they go from 2k left to 200 in the blink of an eye in the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information