1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Pilot Road 4

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Rapide, Dec 28, 2016.

1. I just fitted a new pair of PR4's on the multi about 2 weeks ago as I haven't tried them before, only done about 50 miles and had a screw in the back tyre, it couldn't be repaired so another new rear already:Arghh::Arghh:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Yeah as said, the amount of people I know that get punctures with this rubber is seriously high! I guess it's the tread picking up bits of shit..

3. Haha, hi Ed, hope you're well, will see you for a couple of days at the Yorkshire w/e :smiley:

4. Just bought a pair of PR4's from Bikespeeduk for £220 delivered which I thought was a good price.
    Looking forward to trying them out. Off to Spain and France in May so will give them a good test.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1600 miles update. Absolutely love these tyres on the 848. For mixed use I really don't think you can beat them. Hardly look warn, incredible.

In an attempt to avoid fate I'll not comment on puncture resilience ;)

6. I've done 11000 miles on a few sets now, not had a puncture yet!

7. It does seem strange as I wouldn't have believed it but had 3 punctures on PR4's and never had a picture before. I replaced 2 tyres with new ones but the third time I repaired it and its still on the bike.

8. I ended up doing 7,500 miles on the PR4s including a tour of the Alps. Great tyres for road riding.

Replaced them a couple of months ago with Supercorsas for a trackday, obviously a very different tyre and the grip and turn in is definitely improved for track and those perfect sunny days.

However, back to reality of my mixed use and commuting in the real world, I'm tempted to go with another set of PR4s. Unless something new has come along in 2017 for sports touring, good mileage, wet weather, good in the dry too?

9. I'm liking rosso iii's at the moment....got some on my rsv4....

10. Happily using PR4s on my SF848. The stock Pirelli rear is a 60 profile and the PR4 is a 55. All I did was adjust the ride height to compensate for the slight difference in height of the tyre.

I have ridden 4-5 thousand miles on them so far. A lot in the rain this summer ;-). The grip in the wet is awesome. Even at high speeds in the wet the bike feels totally planted. Only had one small slide in the wet when the rear stepped out exiting a roundabout in France (possibly something slippery on the roundabout). Considering that I was rode fairly hard in order to get from Cognac to Dieppe (without using toll roads) in under 7 hours and I encountered 3 very heavy thunderstorms on my way I was pleased to do it in 6:40 despite a diversion due to a closed road and a hunt in Cognac for a supermarket petrol station. I feel that the tyres played a big part in enabling me to ride that fast in the wet safely.

11. PR 2CT on my Fireblade, couple of thousand in and I'm happy but slightly wary of them... few slides coming out of roundabouts from the rear but the front feels fine. Pirelli are too weather sensitive, but I run them on the Ducatis... they're pretty rubbish in the cold except the MT60RS on the Scrambler. They're mega whatever the weather, for all 15 miles of their life.

12. Metzeler 01s on my Monster 1200 and I'm very happy with them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Did you check the manufacture date? I know sometimes garages sell tyres that are the older models but that maybe they have because they have not sold and they have been on the shelf for years.

This explains a bit http://thebikestig.com.au/age-of-a-motorcycle-tyre/

14. Yeah, they're not old wizened walnuts. They were fresh :)

15. Most of my mates use PR4's, bikes range from BMW S1000XR, 13 Fireblade, Z1000sx etc

For use on UK roads I don't think you can beat them, we've just had a wet weekend in Newton Steward, Dumfries, and it was raining stair rods on the Saturday, lots of standing water and wet leaves on the road, no one complained of lack of grip on the tyres and we were motoring on past Clatteringshaws Loch!

On the bikes above, most of the guys get 4,000 to 4,500 miles from a rear and about 6,000 from a front and the good thing about these tyres is that they keep a round profile on the rear.
    People mention the fronts "feathering" a bit, that's down to trail braking into corners, most tyres will do that, the standard Rosso Corsa's on my Panigale did it, best one's I've used for not doing it is the Mich Supersport Evo 2's I've got on the bike now, the tread design helps a lot here.

Great tyres, very confidence inspiring, be interesting to see if the new PR 5's are available in a 180 / 60 size, I would certainly give them a go

16. I hope they stay 55, as they are tall enough now. Make a 60 and it will be a fair bit taller again. The PR 55 is a lot taller than the scorpion 55

17. What I mean is I hope they make the full size range.........50, 55, and 60 profile, then you can choose the correct size for your bike

• Like Like x 1
  18. D56764F2-934C-436A-9602-81F930F5363C.jpeg
    Didn’t have time to swap to track tyres on a recent trackday so just used my commuter rubber.

I overtake more than being overtaken in inters and the good old PR4s were absolutely fine at that pace.

Vast majority of riders really don’t need anything more. Instructors all said the same, in fact one said he sees more crashes from people using race rubber as most can’t keep the temperature in.

Not sure if I’ll bother swapping in future :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. You,me and nearly everybody else will never get near their limits in the twisties

Do Not Sell My Personal Information