1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Mileage Podium - High Mileage Bikes / Most Miles?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AndyW, May 16, 2014.

1. My other options are the S1000XR and 1290SA.
    Had a do on an XR but the vibes where bad, my fingers looked like I had a bad case of Raynards Syndrome after forty mins.
    Going to look at a 1290 SA today as well as a white DVT, so we will see....

2. S1000xr probably the fastest real world bike. Like you say, vibes an issue. The s1r was terrible if just tootling about. Rev it out and the never notice the vibes. Not exactly loads of character but it is an inline 4. I did look at one but just did not like it.
    1290 plenty quick in all forms, though I would lean toward the GT version. Not a fan of long travel suspension.

3. The GT looks brilliant but is out of my reach at 16k with panniers on top of that.
    1290SA 2015 models are going for reasonable money twelve months old so will be looking to spend around 12k, likewise the DVT.

4. Ive been given nothing but "STICK" since buying my 2011 MTS and guess who that would be then ? yes you guessed right my GS buddies. Personally like the man said you pays your money and you take your chances.

Wouldn't life be boring without a few risks its simple really maintain your bike regularly make sure you have breakdown cover and go and bloody enjoy yourselves one life and all that and if you not happy sell it and buy something else Simples !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don't know if it counts as not mts but monster 2004 m1000 coming up for 150,000 miles and 2007 1098s tricolore coming up for 50,000 miles. In the case of the monster ridden every day through every winter since 2004 as commuter. Around 90% of miles covered in Scotland. Have higher mileage bikes but non ducati. Not BMW .

• Like Like x 3
  6. Triumph maybe? :smirk:

7. Correct Derek.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Impressive - I sold my 2007 1098S Tric to a mate (in 2010 @ 5k miles) and it still has under 6k miles on it!

9. i need to ride more my multi 2014 skyhook touring is 3 in Febuary
    only just 10000 miles
    of note no issues at all touchwood

10. I've got 28k on my 2010 multistrada s touring

• Like Like x 2
  11. Great news 28K .... so all those that doubt the longevity of the Multistrada s touring.......... you put that in your pipe and smoke it !! :sunglasses:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Still only got 3500 on my 17m old dvt. Must try harder :Facepalm::Facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Just to add my experience I put off buying a ducati for years because of the reputation.
    But decided that life is too short not to have what you fancy, so I bought a new 2012 base model multistrada. So glad I did .I have now done 45000 miles on it all over Europe it has never let me down or had any problems apart from running too hot ,which I have cured by removing the radiator, and flushing out with a pressure washer .The rear shock is getting tired for 2 up plus luggage, the bolt is seized as is another on this page but I will remove it !
    I intend to run it on to the next big service at 60000 then see if there is a low mileage pikes peak about. Hope this helps regards keith

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Not really Keith. I feel even more inadequate now ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 250,000km on a v twin but its not a ducati

bottom end never been apart top end rebored 10 thou over about 20 years ago and honed about 15 years ago

16. 27500 Miles ... Mine has not been with out trouble but nothing that wasn't fixed under warranty or at small cost, all the usual faults ... clocks,exhaust valve, etc.the only one I haven't heard off before on a multi was one the case hardening de-laminating on the valve rocker arm, the rear brake is also a pain in the ass as it needs bleeding every couple of K miles which is a pain on a long trip!
    All the rest is just consumables.
    The so called standard fit spaghetti chain did over 18K miles ... I'm not grumbling about that.
    Whats the furthest you have traveled I've been as far as Malmo, Kiev, Budapest, through Croatia, Slovinia, and the very southern toe of Italy,
    Anybody done north Africa?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Only Morocco so far. And that was on a Hypermotard so doesn't count...
    (2012, 3000 miles via France/Spain/Portugal. Group of 20, all BMW mounted bar a KTM Supermoto, my 1100s and a Harley Sportster - which coped suprisingly well with the 'roads'... Might be rose tinted specs but IIRC only the Ducati and the KTM actually ventured any great distance off road...)
    My Multi has done 26,500, mostly by PO. Bought last year and a couple of minor niggles showed up almost immediately, both quickly sorted under warranty (engine check light caused by a broken wire to the ABS sensor plus the usual fuel sensor).
    My first decent ride was a 1800 mile trip down to southern Spain, no issues whatsoever. My mates' KTM nearly ate its drive chain...

#117 Vulpine2, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Met a guy on th ferry to Jerez last week , he had 110,000kms on his 2010S , said he would never sell it and still loved it
    Pretty impressive I thought

19. My DVT currently has just under 19000m, been about that since Jan when serviced, due to new job I use my bandit every day and don't get a chance to use DVT much Don't fancy running over 400m a week on it, but she gets out on the odd weekend. About 5k done in Europe the rest UK. No mechanical issues, mainly quality and finish of paint and parts. Two years old at the end of the month

20. Time for my update after 2 years or ownership ...... 2nd full belt and Desmo service added to the fact it needed new Brembo discs and pads all round, front calipers completely stripped and rebuilt after 2 winters use, new front wheel bearings and the rear hub stripped and cleaned out as it had seized through all the crap seeped in from riding off road and winter use so couldnt even move it when trying to adjust the chain

[​IMG]

The mileage will slow down now after 25000 in the last 2 years as i needed new winter riding kit as my Rukka have leaked badly after 8 years all year round use so i bought a Peugeot 207 for this winters 1000 miles a month commuting for less than a new set of Rukka :D

plus i really dont like the big bills the Multi is giving me now so time to cut down the mileage ........ given the list at the top you can guess how much it all came too :(

#120 Bigyin, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
Do Not Sell My Personal Information