1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Mileage!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Wooly46, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Does anyone have a 996 with high miles? If so, what sort of mileage have you done and are the engines good for lots of miles? Cheers for any info.

2. Thread moved

3. My 98 996 engine survived my ownership for 18 years before a major freak failure of a main bearing. Basically the outer race of the bearing sheared in half, yes I could have rebuilt it and naybe got another 18 years out of it but I opted to transplant a 1098 engine into it. In total I racked up about 50,000 miles many hard track miles and used with a lot of enthusiasm on the road. Servicing had all been done by me since the waranty expired . Prior to the failure all was good

4. Was the 1098 conversion difficult?

5. I am in the final stages on the conversion. Realistically not difficult as many have done it before and paved the way.

6. Thanks, are you able to create a new thread and tell us about it with pics?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Was chatting to a guy from here who's mate with him had a 996 with over 30k I think (may have even been 40K) and it was running fine. Seems riding them quite hard and regular meticulous servicing is the key :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm up to 32k on my 916 ... still going strong
    Is there any difference in longevity between 916 and 996 engines?

• Like Like x 1
  9. You could say so, the 996 had a much higher rocker failure rate due to the 996 production coinciding almost exactly with Ducati's 3rd party rocker supplier(s) quality issues. 996s had a higher incidence of failure than 748s, 916s had the lowest failure rate of all of them. However if rockers were going to be a big issue, chances are they would have been replaced by now on any bike that has been in regular use. Low mileage is not all it is cracked up to be on well maintained bikes.
    38k and counting on my 748, slightly less torque on the crank but higher revs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. My 748 is up to 64,000km and still running strong. Clutch is on its way out though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information