1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 1200r Just Purchased

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Oly, Jan 19, 2017.

1. From?

2. Must say this forum is better than ukgser that I'm a member of. Too many smart arses on there for my liking

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yup. They went up start of 2017 with the ducati price rises.. they were about 1200 before christmas.
    Just ask a dealer if they can match the old price (which is still unreal). They look super quality.. but really should be worth about £700 max in my opinion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I traded in my R1200GS for a monster, best move I ever made :)

5. R1200rs was a good bike but a bit boring.
    Looking forward to getting the monster.

6. Here's the new Termi's with the Evotech Exhaust hanger which I think cleans the lines up and you see more of those lovely wheels!

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  7. Evotech make lovely stuff, got rad and oil cooler guards, exhaust hanger and tail tidy on mine. Quality is first class

I paid about £150 for first service with a little mates rates discount.

As for exhaust options, £1400 for termis is a bit steep, even if you do get the ecu upmap key. Think I'm going the SC Project route

Ped

8. £1400 is steep, seriously overpriced.. its a bit of pipe with a bit of carbon around it.... and Termi/Ducati kinda have the setup covered here by talking "warranty" every time a 3rd party exhaust system is mentioned.
    Personally I reckon some of the other exhaust suppliers setups look really smart. Just depends if you want to take a punt on it or not.

Having recently fitted the Termi's I would say they do look well made and do sound amazing... finally turning the MonsterR into what it should be.
    I would have always felt ripped off if I had left the original cans on.
    On the used market it seems you do get some of your money back if the bike has Termis installed.

9. Has anyone done any long twisty runs with luggage onboard? Just pondering either a Monster R or a Multi again.

What luggage do you all use, for those that have them please? Have a European trip planned for later in the year and curious to know peoples thoughts. Anyone used a Monster R in Scotland particularly around Fort William and further North maybe. Feel free to point me in the direction of a write up too.

Currently have an S2R on a 10 plate, hence considering the change.

Cheers

10. Eres espanol?

11. Have a multi and considering a 12000 r,tour Europe annually,usually Spain, and use US 30 Kriega .Have panniers and tank bag but consider this to be best option but I travel light I.e. Kriega only

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brilliant bike.

13. IMG_5884.JPG IMG_7737.JPG IMG_5884.JPG
    I got my MonsterR as a one bike does all, Sunday blast, some track and touring bike.

Not done the miles on mine yet but I've 3 tours planned this year on the 1200R (IOM, Scotland, Spain) and have spent lots of time on luggage options.
    My Kriega 30L doesn't fit well on my tail, (perhaps situated sideways) but it's massive and becomes ackward to swing the leg over. The 20L (as shown in the attached pic) fits much better (inline or sideways). I've not tried but think you could Combo on two 10s to the 20L as Kriega do in their streefighter promo pics.

Other brands of Tail bags and bungee cords etc all options... but at the end of the day the R variant has the different rear subframe and there really is not much space available. You have to be careful of overhanging the brake light and smaller indicators (if you have tail tidy in place) and available driver seat space.

I've a Kriega backpack but for the longer trips probably have to take tankbag as well or go the pannier route.

The nice looking (but very expensive (givi made)) ducati panniers only fit the base and S models, not the R. For the R you have Hepco and Becker and SW Motech aftermarket stuff. Maybe some more will become available this year?
    For me the Hepco and Becker panniers look a cleaner and preferred fitment option. Think both brands mentioned are about 25L per side. I've still yet to confirm weather the two panniers mentioned will work with the evotech tail tidy and termignoni exhausts...

For shorter tours a 20L on the tail and backpack or tankbag is a good setup. I include a pic of how I looped the Kriega luggage straps around the rear subframe, was quite chuffed with the way it worked out to stop forward-aft and side slippage, they tuck under the seat so not noticeable when unused.

#33 flatairbag, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. That's how I have my bag on the multi,I do need To use the left foot rest to swing leg over ideally though

• Like Like x 1
  15. Does the multi have a centre stand or side stand when you do this?

16. Mine only has side stand but the touring model comes with centre stand.
    It takes a bit of getting used to TBH but is the easiest way.I can sort of launch my leg over the seat John Cleese style but that gets tiring when you are on and off the bike all day

17. Here's mine with the Kriega 20 & 10 combo. I went with the 'across' the bike rather than inline mounting, as shown in the 2nd picture. Had enough stashed for a weeks visit to the IOM :upyeah:

IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0565.jpg

18. Mike, can you post a pic of the 10L strapped to the 20L (inline) on one side (or if you have two 10's do the full monty) like Kriega do their combo adverts? Wondering weather it will clear lights ok?

19. @flatairbag Will do - but the bike is under wraps and stored away in the garage. If you can wait a few more weeks I will have a go at it for you (I only have one 10L by the way)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. well very disappointed, my part ex was delivered by courier to ducati croyden. The salesman has just telephoned me to say the new bike (268 miles) has got stone chips on the forks and 3 stone chips on the tank. I could cancel the deal if i wanted. I told him that id spent £400 on the courier to 1, get the bmw delivered and 2, pick up the ducati.
    Whilst being extremely angry as he described the ducati as perfect, i need to get out of this as best as possible.
    I have seen that cream carbon do fork protectors to cover up the stone chips on the forks. but i need a recommendation for a paint job to either paint the tank, or get the stone chips blown in?
    please help as i dont want to refuse the monster, ive been waiting for weeks!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information